<<< Back

Title: Square Church and School, Halifax - DPC00131

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DPC00131.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.

Title

Square Church and School, Halifax - DPC00131

Subject

Architecture, Building, Churches, Churches & Chapels, Halifax, Postcard, School, Schools, Square Church, Square School

Description

Congregationalists had held regular meetings in Halifax since at least 1763 and the Square Chapel, named after the area although it is also square in shape, was opened in 1772 at a cost of over £2,000. The chapel was first preached in on 24th May 1772.
The Crossley family of Dean Clough were largely responsible for the building of the second church; John was chairman of the building committee and the family provided much of the finance. Frank, who had laid the foundation stone on 10th April, 1835, provided the funding, amounting to £1,500, for the 235 ft tower and spire. The opening ceremony took place on 15th July, 1857, the original chapel then becoming the Sunday School. In 1970 the church was closed, was demolished in December 1976, with the exception of the spire and steeple which were preserved, being a Grade II* Listed Building

Creator

The Lion series

Source

Dave Pearson

Date

Undated

Rights

PHDA - Dave Pearson Collection

Identifier

DPC00131.tif

Collection

Citation

The Lion series, “Square Church and School, Halifax - DPC00131,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed March 25, 2019, http://penninehorizons.org/items/show/26449.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Social Bookmarking