<<< Back

Title: Wakefield Kirkgate Station - DNT00124

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00124.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.

Title

Wakefield Kirkgate Station - DNT00124

Subject

Calder Valley Line, Cobbles, GNR, Great Nothern Railway, Hansom Cab, Horse, Horse-drawn, Horse-drawn Cab, LYR, Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway, M&LR, Manchester & Leeds Railway, People, Railway, Railway station, Railways, Station, Station Building, Station Canopies, Station Clock, Station Entrance, Station Frontage, Wakefield, Wakefield Kirkgate

Description

The station was opened by the M&LR at the same time as the section of its line between Hebden Bridge and Normanton and was Wakefield’s only station until Westgate Station was opened in 1867. The station was rebuilt in 1854 and its frontage seen here late 19th century. The signage above the canopy read ‘Lancashire & Yorkshire and Great Northern Railways’.

The station was Listed in 1979 but by that time some buildings had been demolished and the unstaffed station continued to deteriorate and was subject to vandalism all deterring it being used. A £4 million refurbishment project took place between 2013 and 2015.

Creator

Unknown

Rights

PHDA - David Taylor Collection

Identifier

DNT00124.tif

Citation

Unknown, “Wakefield Kirkgate Station - DNT00124,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed December 12, 2018, http://penninehorizons.org/items/show/26555.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Social Bookmarking