<<< Back

Title: Wakefield Kirkgate Station Frontage - DNT00125

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00125.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.

Title

Wakefield Kirkgate Station Frontage - DNT00125

Subject

Calder Valley Line, Cobbles, GNR, Goods Depot, Goods Shed, Great Nothern Railway, Hansom Cab, Horse, Horse-drawn, Horse-drawn Cab, LYR, Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway, M&LR, Manchester & Leeds Railway, People, Railway, Railway station, Railways, Station, Station Building, Station Canopies, Station Entrance, Station Frontage, Wakefield, Wakefield Kirkgate

Description

The station was opened by the M&LR at the same time as the section of its line between Hebden Bridge and Normanton and was Wakefield’s only station until Westgate Station was opened in 1867. The station was rebuilt in 1854 and is seen here late 19th century.

The station was Listed in 1979 but by that time some buildings had been demolished and the unstaffed station continued to deteriorate and was subject to vandalism all deterring it being used. The Goods Depot seen here was demolished in 2008 to be replaced by a Network Rail works depot. A £4 million refurbishment project of the station took place between 2013 and 2015.

Creator

Unknown

Rights

PHDA - David Taylor Collection

Identifier

DNT00125.tif

Citation

Unknown, “Wakefield Kirkgate Station Frontage - DNT00125,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed July 23, 2019, http://penninehorizons.org/items/show/26556.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Social Bookmarking