<<< Back

Title: Drawoff Pipe at Green Withens Reservoir - CVH00196

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CVH00196.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.

Title

Drawoff Pipe at Green Withens Reservoir - CVH00196

Subject

Green Withens, Places, Reservoir, Rishworth

Description

Pictured during the drought of 1958/59.

Constructed in 1898 as a compensation tunnel for Green Withens Reservoir, one of the former Wakefield Water Board’s biggest holdings with a capacity of over 300 million gallons, the tunnel runs back for 850 feet into the hillside. The other end is at the bottom of the 66 foot high retaining wall of the reservoir itself. The tunnel is sealed by two giant sluice gates each of which take 750 turns of a geared wheel to open or close.

Originally used to allow water to run from the reservoir to feed the mills of the Rishworth Valley, the tunnel was opened at 5 a.m. and closed at 5 p.m. every day. Now it is no longer used and only a trickle of water runs down the massive steps leading to the stone conduit.

When the reservoir was being constructed the tunnel served another purpose – a short cut to the wall that was to hold back millions of gallons.

All the local water boards were amalgamated to become Yorkshire Water in 1973.

Source

Christine Butterworth

Rights

PHDA - Cragg Vale History Group

Identifier

CVH00196.tif

Citation

“Drawoff Pipe at Green Withens Reservoir - CVH00196,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed November 14, 2019, http://penninehorizons.org/items/show/28844.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>