<<< Back

Title: Heptonstall Grammar School Museum, (formerly listed as Warehouse in Church Lane, Nos 12 and 14 Church Lane and 1.11.66 Nos 4 and 5 Churchyard Bottom)
- CBC01807

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC01807.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.

Title

Heptonstall Grammar School Museum, (formerly listed as Warehouse in Church Lane, Nos 12 and 14 Church Lane and 1.11.66 Nos 4 and 5 Churchyard Bottom)
- CBC01807

Description

GRADE II

School, 1771 and attached pair of cottages, late C17 or early C18, now forming museum. Large dressed stone, stone slate roof. School 2 storeys to Church Lane, and single storey to front, cottages 3 storeys to Church Lane and 2 storeys to front. Church Lane elevation has school to left with 3 bays of simple Venetian windows to each floor with false keystones. Doorway between 1st and 2nd bay, paired doorways between 2nd and 3rd bays all with tie-stone jambs and chamfered surround. Over paired doorways is a single window with semi- circular arched lintel, impost block and keystone. All windows have small pane glazing. Cottages break forward and rise higher. 2 cells with paired doorways to centre. All are double chamfered mullioned windows. To left 3 lights to each floor. To right 3 lights with 5-light windows over to 1st and 2nd floor. Church Yard front has doorway either side of 6-light window with king mullion and two 3-light windows to 1st floor. School breaks forward and has 2 doorways with tie-stone jambs and chamfered surround with richly moulded recess over, one now a window the other with stone engraved " HEPTONSTALL " 1642 GRAMMAR SCHOOL . South gable has 3-light double chamfered mullioned window to attic. Coped gable with kneelers. Lateral stack to front and rear and one other to ridge. A plaque to front is inscribed " HEPTONSTALL GRAMMAR SCHOOL FOUNDED 1642 BY ENDOWMENT OF THE REV. CHARLES GREENWOOD M.A. RECTOR OF THORNHILL LORD OF THE MANOR OF HEPTONSTALL REBUILT 1772 CLOSED 1889 "

Interior of school room has stone fireplace with flat-arched lintel and chamfered stone shelf. Fitted bookcase with semi-circular arched surround. Earlier this century used as a bank by the Yorkshire Penny Bank. C.F. Stell, p.271.

NGR: SD98696 28049
CMBC Ref: H/51
Historic England Listing: 1229575

Date

2021-07-13T09:53:35

Rights

PHDA - Calderdale M.B.C.

Relation

Pennine Horizons Digital Archive

Identifier

CBC01807.jpg

Citation

“Heptonstall Grammar School Museum, (formerly listed as Warehouse in Church Lane, Nos 12 and 14 Church Lane and 1.11.66 Nos 4 and 5 Churchyard Bottom)
- CBC01807,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed September 27, 2022, http://penninehorizons.org/items/show/35353.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>