<<< Back

Title: Burton Agnes Hall, the South Front - HLS05706

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05706.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.

Title

Burton Agnes Hall, the South Front - HLS05706

Description

Slide 1 - Burton Agnes, the ancient seat of the Boyntons, is one of the most beautiful Tudor and Jacobean houses in Yorkshire.

Lying in pleasant country between Driffield and Bridlington, it is surrounded by woodland and standing upon a slight eminence, commands a view over the Wold country.

It is a historic district too, and of some rural fame, rich in agricultural possibilities and generally possessing an air of prosperity. Burton is mentioned in Domesday and was held at that time by Robert de Bruis. It was subsequently held by the Stutevilles, Morlays, Somervilles, and Griffith's. The view shows the South and Principal front. It is built of red brick and stone and is a fine specimen of the style of architecture prevalent in the reign of Elizabeth and James the First, to which period the erection of the Hall may be ascribed.

Creator

George Hepworth

Source

Hebden Bridge Literary & Scientific Society

Date

1905 , 1900s

Rights

PHDA - Hebden Bridge Local History Society

Relation

Pennine Horizons Digital Archive

Identifier

HLS05706.tif

Citation

George Hepworth, “Burton Agnes Hall, the South Front - HLS05706,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed August 11, 2020, http://penninehorizons.org/items/show/7102.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>