<<< Back

Title: Burton Agnes Hall, Entrance Porch - HLS05711

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05711.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.

Title

Burton Agnes Hall, Entrance Porch - HLS05711

Subject

Architecture, Buildings, Hall

Description

Slide 6 - The Entrance Porch with its Ionic and Corinthian columns and its achievements of arms, bespeaks the care and skill of some master architect.

The Hall was built by Sir Henry Griffiths, whose initials appear over the porch door together with those of his wife Elizabeth Throgmorton, and the date of 1601. The dates 1602 and 1603 also appear on the heads of the rain-water pipes.

The Three Storied Porch is an elaborate design, with a fine display of heraldry. The upper stage bears the arms of Queen Elizabeth; the next stage the arms of Sir Henry Griffiths.

Creator

George Hepworth

Source

Hebden Bridge Literary & Scientific Society

Date

1905 , 1900s

Rights

PHDA - Hebden Bridge Local History Society

Identifier

HLS05711.tif

Citation

George Hepworth, “Burton Agnes Hall, Entrance Porch - HLS05711,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed November 17, 2018, http://penninehorizons.org/items/show/7107.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Social Bookmarking