<<< Back

Title: Ledston Hall - HLS05835

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05835.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.

Title

Ledston Hall - HLS05835

Subject

Architecture, Buildings, Hall

Description

Slide 11: The Terraces are a feature of the place, and were constructed at an enormous cost by Sir John Lewis. He adorned them with a profusion of statuary of which a few specimens still remain.

Sir John Lewis was raised to the Baronetcy in 1660 and died in 1671. He erected and endowed an hospital at Ledsham for the maintenance of ten aged poor people, who by his will are required religiously to observe the Sabbath day, and to be present at Church in time for Divine Service and sermon.
Lady Elizabeth Hastings added Σ10 per annum for the better support of St. John Baptist's Hospital founded by her grandfather.

Creator

George Hepworth

Source

Hebden Bridge Literary & Scientific Society

Date

1905 , 1900s

Rights

PHDA - Hebden Bridge Local History Society

Identifier

HLS05835.tif

Citation

George Hepworth, “Ledston Hall - HLS05835,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed November 16, 2019, http://penninehorizons.org/items/show/7231.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>