Title: Newburgh Priory, South Front - HLS05872
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.
Newburgh Priory, South Front - HLS05872
Slide 2 - Newburgh was an Augustinian Foundation until the Dissolution of the monasteries when Henry V111 granted the property to Anthony Belsayse, his Chaplain and so the Priory became a Baronial residence. He soon after gave the estates to his nephew Sir William Belsaye. Thomas Belsaye his Descendant was created Viscount Fauconberg by Charles 1 immediately before the Civil Wars. When these broke out he took the King's part, and had an important command at Marston Moor, after which he fled to the Continent and died soon after (1652) but his remains were interred in Coxwold Church.
Hebden Bridge Literary & Scientific Society
1905 , 1900s
PHDA - Hebden Bridge Local History Society
Pennine Horizons Digital Archive
George Hepworth, “Newburgh Priory, South Front - HLS05872,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed July 13, 2020, http://penninehorizons.org/items/show/7268.