<<< Back

Title: Elland Town Hall - KST00790

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KST00790.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.

Title

Elland Town Hall - KST00790

Description

The foundation stones were laid on 21st June 1887. The building was opened on 19th September 1888 by Sir John Savile.

The construction cost £7,000.

The clock-tower was a part of the original design. The clock was presented by Lewis Mackrell in memory of his father James and was inaugurated on 8th June 1909.

The building was never used as a Town Hall but was intended to be a public hall for the town.

The assembly hall and balcony has accommodation for 1,000 people.

The Palladium Cinema was here.

The building was badly damaged by fire in 1994.

Information from Malcolm Bull.

Date

2020-10-15T11:06:13

Rights

PHDA – Ken Stott Collection

Relation

Pennine Horizons Digital Archive

Identifier

KST00790.tif

Citation

“Elland Town Hall - KST00790,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed May 12, 2021, https://penninehorizons.org/items/show/34531.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>