Browse Items (12 total)

  • Tags: Holme
Thieveleys Farm, on the west side of the Cliviger Gorge, was a favourite picnic place in Victorian times but the farm was demolished in 1976.
The Todmorden - Burnley Road (now A646) running through the village.
Holme House or Hall probably dates from the 15th century with re-building in the 17th century and additions in the mid 18th century. Between 1985 and 2003 it was used as a retirement home but was gutted by arson in 2004, but has since been…
The Todmorden - Burnley Road (now A646) in the centre of the village. On the left is the lychgate to the church.

Dedicated to St John the Divine the church dates fro the late 1790s.
Dedicated to St John the Divine it is a fine Georgian Church dating from the late 18th century.
The village is on the Todmorden - Burnley road and railway line and once had a station.
Holme Station Cliviger on the Todmorden-Burnley 'Copy Pit' line. On 27th October 1907 some wagons on a coal train became detached at Copy Pit and rolled back down and leaving the track demolished the Booking Office killing the Booking Clerk.
The station was opened at the same time as the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway's line between Todmorden and Burnley in 1849. It was closed in 1930.
LYRS 4225 - The Holme, Holme Station featured on a Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway coloured postcard to promote trips to the area by train.
In 1431, The Holme, then a manor house of 40 rooms, was referenced in connection with Thomas Whitaker. The process of converting the original wooden structure into stone began in 1603 and was completed 1717 with west wing. The Whitakers built an…

Tags: , ,

Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2