<<< Back

Title: Albert Park, Halifax - DPC00349

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DPC00349.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.

Title

Albert Park, Halifax - DPC00349

Description

Known locally as Sparrow Park, this relatively small patch of grass at the junction of Heath Road and Skircoat Road is dominated by a memorial to Prince Albert, paid for by public subscription following the Prince’s death in December 1861.

The nine foot high bronze statue on a seven foot high granite plinth was originally placed at Ward’s End in Horton Street and unveiled by Sir Francis Crossley on September 17th 1864. It caused some controversy as people claimed that renowned sculptor Thomas Thornycroft had got the horse’s legs wrong and a rumour went around that he'd committed suicide on realizing his mistake. The simple truth is that the unusual pose portrays Prince Albert and his horse Nimrod 'ambling', a type of trot favoured by the pair, and Thornycroft eventually died at the age of seventy, twenty one years after completing the statue.

Albert and Nimrod were moved to their current location in June 1900 because of increased road traffic at Ward’s End. Information from Paul Glazzard.

Today the building to the right of the statue is the bus depot.

Rights

PHDA - Dave Pearson Collection

Relation

Pennine Horizons Digital Archive

Identifier

DPC00349.tif

Collection

Citation

“Albert Park, Halifax - DPC00349,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed August 2, 2021, https://penninehorizons.org/items/show/28729.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>