<<< Back

Title: The Dam and Gibson Mill, Hardcastle Crags, Hebden Bridge. - WMH00441

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WMH00441.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.

Title

The Dam and Gibson Mill, Hardcastle Crags, Hebden Bridge. - WMH00441

Description

Postcard with August 1936 postmark but the same photo is used on a 1929 card. A former water powered cotton mill at the heart of Hardcastle Crags it was built early 19th century by Abraham Gibson of Greenwood Lee and officially known as Lord Holme Mill. The mill was converted into an ‘entertainment emporium’ circa 1900 to cater for the thousands of visitors who came to the Crags at holiday periods and the mill pond seen here was used for boating. The boarding on the mill wall is advertising its ‘Tearooms and Dancing Room’.

The Mill fell into disuse in the second half of the 20th century but along with Hardcastle Crags it is now owned by the National Trust and today the mill is a Visitor Centre with a café.

Source

Pennine Horizons Digital Archive

Rights

PHDA - William Henwood Collection

Relation

Pennine Horizons Digital Archive

Identifier

WMH00441.tif

Citation

“The Dam and Gibson Mill, Hardcastle Crags, Hebden Bridge. - WMH00441,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed July 14, 2024, https://penninehorizons.org/items/show/33757.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>