<<< Back

Title: Berry Brow Station. L&YR Huddersfield – Penistone Line - DNT00293

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00293.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.

Title

Berry Brow Station. L&YR Huddersfield – Penistone Line - DNT00293

Description

The station, south of the impressive Lockwood Viaduct, opened at the same time as the line in 1850. A small goods yard can just be made out on the far side of the road bridge.



Unusual features of the station were two stone carvings of trains exiting tunnels, the first dated from the 1860s and the second from the 1880s. These can be seen here to the right of the platform canopy. (See DNT00294.)



The station closed in 1966 and in 1989 a new station was opened 330 yards south of the original. By that time the line had been reduced to single track and the new single platform station offers only a basic shelter.

Rights

PHDA _ David Taylor Collection

Relation

Pennine Horizons Digital Archive

Identifier

DNT00293.jpg

Citation

“Berry Brow Station. L&YR Huddersfield – Penistone Line - DNT00293,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed December 2, 2022, https://penninehorizons.org/items/show/36677.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>