Browse Items (425 total)

  • Tags: Railway station

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/PNH00831.jpg
PNH00831. View across the town with the Railway Station centre left. The locomotive and wagons date the photo at around 1880.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/PNH00821.jpg
PNH00821 c.1970. Looking across the station and good yards. On the far right at the bottom of Horton Street is the large 1885 double bay entrance building, replaced in the 1980s. The sidings under the footbridge, centre, are in course of being…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/PNH00816.jpg
Date unknown but prior to the construction of Calder High School in 1950. Cragg Road in the foreground.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00271.jpg
An intermediate station on the Rishworth Branch from the Calder Valley Main Line at Sowerby Bridge. The line opened in 1878 and the station in 1885. The line closed to passengers in 1929 and fully in 1958.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00270.jpg
The station on the Manchester & Leeds Railway opened in 1845 and was closed in 1961. A new station slightly to the east opened in 1990 but with bus stop style shelters.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00269.jpg
On the L&YR’s ‘Pickle Bridge’ line which opened in 1881 running from near Wyke on the Halifax-Bradford line to join the Calder Valley main line east of Brighouse. The station, seen here with passengers and station staff posing for the camera…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00268.jpg
On the L&YR’s ‘Pickle Bridge’ line which opened in 1881 running from near Wyke on the Halifax-Bradford line to join the Calder Valley main line east of Brighouse. The station opened in 1881 at the same time as the line but ‘temporarily’ closed in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00267.jpg
The station on the Halifax –Bradford line opened at the same time as the line in August 1850. The station was closed in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00266.jpg
The station on the Halifax –Bradford line opened at the same time as the line in August 1850. The station was closed in 1953.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00265.jpg
The station on the joint GNR/L&YR Halifax & Ovenden Junction Railway opened in 1881 three years after the line between Halifax Station and Queensbury had opened. The station closed in 1955 when passenger services on the line were withdrawn and the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00264.jpg
Unidentified crests on either side of the arch on the east face of the railway overbridge on Water Lane built 1848/9 when the Halifax Branch was extended from Shaw Syke near to the town centre and onto Bradford, opening in 1850.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00263.jpg
East face of the railway overbridge built 1848/9 when the Halifax Branch was extended from Shaw Syke near to the town centre and onto Bradford, opening in 1850. Still in use.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00262.jpg
Disused railway overbridge west face near the top of Water Lane. This had borne an L&YR goods shed which straddled Water Lane accessed from the goods depots on either side of the lane. A little further down can be seen another bridge, built late…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00261.jpg
On the south side of Water Lane the depot consisted of two sizeable Goods Sheds and sidings; goods facilities were finally fully withdrawn in 1981. The original 1844 terminus station which became the Goods Office early 1850s was situate at the far…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00257.jpg
The roof showing signs of sagging and the yard cleared for temporary council public car parking.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00256.jpg
The shed on the north side of Water Lane was built by the L&YR about the 1850s. The original terminus station on the south side of Water Lane became the Goods Office at the same time. Today (2017) it stands derelict.

Centre left is the disused…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00255.jpg
View looking across Shaw Syke goods yard down to the GNR warehouse. Taken in April 2010 just after the yard had been cleared for temporary council public car parking. The remains of rails just visible between the cobbles.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00253.jpg
The now disused warehouse a little to the south of the station with the site of former sidings now car parking for Eureka Children's Museum.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00252.jpg
On the left part of Eureka Children’s Museum but this and all the grassed area seen here had been lines and platforms built in the mid-1880s for use by the GNR. To the right is the handsome Italian style station building dating from 1855 but now used…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00251.jpg
By the mid-1860s Halifax Station was considered particularly inconvenient for goods traffic causing delays to the ever necessary delivery of coal and to relieve this bottleneck it was proposed removing mineral and general goods to a station at North…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00250.jpg
The station opened on the joint GNR/L&YR’s Halifax & Ovenden Junction Railway in 1880 nearly six years after the line between Halifax Station and Holmfield had opened. The station closed in 1955 when passenger service between Halifax and Queensbury…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00249.jpg
The newer stonework in the bridge parapet above the centre pillar blocks off what had been the top of steps down to the to the island Platforms 5 & 6 to the front of the station building.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2