Browse Items (192 total)

  • Tags: Platform

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00271.jpg
An intermediate station on the Rishworth Branch from the Calder Valley Main Line at Sowerby Bridge. The line opened in 1878 and the station in 1885. The line closed to passengers in 1929 and fully in 1958.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00270.jpg
The station on the Manchester & Leeds Railway opened in 1845 and was closed in 1961. A new station slightly to the east opened in 1990 but with bus stop style shelters.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00269.jpg
On the L&YR’s ‘Pickle Bridge’ line which opened in 1881 running from near Wyke on the Halifax-Bradford line to join the Calder Valley main line east of Brighouse. The station, seen here with passengers and station staff posing for the camera…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00268.jpg
On the L&YR’s ‘Pickle Bridge’ line which opened in 1881 running from near Wyke on the Halifax-Bradford line to join the Calder Valley main line east of Brighouse. The station opened in 1881 at the same time as the line but ‘temporarily’ closed in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00267.jpg
The station on the Halifax –Bradford line opened at the same time as the line in August 1850. The station was closed in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00266.jpg
The station on the Halifax –Bradford line opened at the same time as the line in August 1850. The station was closed in 1953.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00265.jpg
The station on the joint GNR/L&YR Halifax & Ovenden Junction Railway opened in 1881 three years after the line between Halifax Station and Queensbury had opened. The station closed in 1955 when passenger services on the line were withdrawn and the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00247.jpg
View looking north east from the station approach road and bridge. On the right the south west portal of Beacon Hill Tunnel and on the left part of the former coal yard now car park for Eureka Children’s Museum. The trees at the far end of the car…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00242.jpg
The recently restored platforms and canopies looking down the line towards Beacon Hill Tunnel. To the right the up line ansd site of the up loop and to the left the former Platform 3 now along with the station building used in connection with Eureka…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00232.jpg
On the Halifax-Bradford line at its junction with the Spen Valley Line. The station opened in July 1848 the same time as the line between the junction and Bradford. As well as an important junction station it also served the Low Moor Ironworks which…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00231.jpg
On the ‘short line’ between Bradford & Leeds, built by the Leeds Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway, which opened in 1854 and was operated from the start by the Great Northern Railway who subsequently acquired it. The station opened with the line…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00230.jpg
Looking in the Halifax direction with the north portal of Bowling Tunnel all but hidden by smoke. The line in the centre continues to Bradford Exchange and the line going off to the left is the Bowling Curve to Laisterdyke where it joined the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00229.jpg
An unusual triangular station built by the GNR in 1879 with buildings on all three platforms at the junctions of the Bradford – Halifax (GNR route), Bradford – Keighley and Halifax - Keighley lines, seen here the Halifax – Keighley platform early…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00228.jpg
A passenger service approaching Bradford on the GNR’s Queensbury line with the branch to City Roads Goods which had opened in 1876 joining on the right. Horton Park Station is just visible beyond the last carriage, this had opened in 1880 and was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00227.jpg
The station opened in 1878 and was built as an interchange station between the GNR’s Bradford – Leeds line and their Quensbury lines so that passengers could change between the lines without having to go into Exchange Station. It closed in 1952 due…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00226.jpg
An intermediate station on the GNR’s loop line from Laisterdyke to Shipley which had opened in 1875. The station here opened at the same but closing to passengers in 1931 and to goods in 1964 and the line finally closed over its whole length in1968.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00225.jpg
An intermediate station on the GNR’s loop line from Laisterdyke to Shipley which had opened in 1875. The station here opened three years later in 1878 and closed to passengers in1931 and to goods in 1964 and the line finally closed over its whole…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00224.jpg
The station, which had been known as Shipley Bridge Street, was the terminus of a loop line built by the GNR from Laisterdyke opening in 1875 with intermediate stations at Eccleshill, Idle and Thackley The station closed to passengers in 1931 and to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00223.jpg
An intermediate station between Bradford Market Street Station, re-named Forster Square in 1924, and Shipley it was opened by the MR in 1875. The station was closed in 1965 and then demolished but a new unstaffed station was opened in 1987 with the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00222.jpg
The first station out of Bradford on the Midland’s line towards Shipley it was opened in 1868 and closed nearly a hundred years later in 1965. Seen here on the right is the sizeable Manningham Motive Power Depot which closed in 1967 and then…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00221.jpg
The first station out of Bradford on the Midland’s line towards Shipley it was opened in 1868 and closed nearly a hundred years later in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00220.jpg
Looking out from the double vaulted train shed along the tracks which carried all of the terminus stations passenger traffic. As a result of line and station closures in the mid-1960s the traffic was considerably reduced and the station was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00219.jpg
A terminus station seen here after the introduction of DMUs so probably about 1960. The first station on the site was built in 1850 and operated by the L&YR but the impressive double vaulted train shed seen here dates from 1888 when the station was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00218.jpg
In the 1960s the Victorian glazed roof was dismantled and replaced with the butterfly awnings seen here and about the same time services from the station were drastically reduced following closure of lines and stations. In 1990 a new truncated…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2