Browse Items (14 total)

  • Tags: Bridges

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00228.jpg
A passenger service approaching Bradford on the GNR’s Queensbury line with the branch to City Roads Goods which had opened in 1876 joining on the right. Horton Park Station is just visible beyond the last carriage, this had opened in 1880 and was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00220.jpg
Looking out from the double vaulted train shed along the tracks which carried all of the terminus stations passenger traffic. As a result of line and station closures in the mid-1960s the traffic was considerably reduced and the station was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00218.jpg
In the 1960s the Victorian glazed roof was dismantled and replaced with the butterfly awnings seen here and about the same time services from the station were drastically reduced following closure of lines and stations. In 1990 a new truncated…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00211.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened in 1886, two years after the line, and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00191.jpg
The station seen here in MR days is on the MR’s Shipley – Guiseley line and opened at the same time as the line in 1876 and was closed in 1953 and the buildings subsequently demolished. An unstaffed station was re-opened in 1973 and the line, now…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00180.jpg
The station seen here is Bingley’s second station and was opened in 1892 replacing the earlier station which was a little to the west near the Three Rise Locks on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal. It remains open.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00164.jpg
The station on the LNWR Leeds-Huddersfield-Manchester line opened in 1848. In 1882 to overcome congestion on the joint approach to Wellington and New Stations the LNWR built a separate approach, which included the Farnley Viaduct, and the station was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00156.jpg
An intermediate station on the Bradford, Wakefield & Leeds Railway between Leeds and Wakefield which opened in 1857 and became part of the GNR network in 1865. The station closed in 1964.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00155.jpg
The original station was opened by the Bradford, Wakefield and Leeds Railway in 1858, and was originally named Lofthouse. This was renamed Lofthouse and Outwood in July 1865. It closed on 13 June 1960.[1] A different Lofthouse and Outwood station,…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DPC00595.jpg
This happened on the 1st of July 1906, on North Bridge. Tram number 94 went out of control as it travelled down New Bank and overturned on North Bridge. Two people were killed and 12 injured. The driver was dismissed and a strike ensued. By 31st…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DPC00570.jpg
This view looks towards the road out of Halifax towards Leeds and Bradford. The Grand Theatre was demolished in the 1950s, the buildings on the left remain today. The mills and chimneys at the far end of the bridge no longer exist. All of the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DPC00568.jpg
This view looks towards the road out of Halifax towards Leeds and Bradford. The Grand Theatre was demolished in the 1950s, the buildings on the left remain today. The mills and chimneys at the far end of the bridge no longer exist.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DPC00485.jpg
The view across this bridge is largely unchanged with the exception of the building on the right. The parish church can be seen on the hill top and the road to the town centre is to the left of the bridge.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2