Browse Items (582 total)

  • Tags: Bridge

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BIM00612.jpg
The timber bridge which gave its name to the town probably stood a little further upstream than the present stone structure which dates from about 1510. Legacies financed the construction: for example, James Grenewode of Wadsworth left 3s. 4d to the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/PNH00700.jpg
PNH00700. Vintage coach at Hippins Bridge near Blackshawhead. Date unknown.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/PNH00699.jpg
Vintage coach, PPC 275, at Hippins Bridge near Blackshawhead. Date unknown.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WMH01224.jpg
Undated postcard. Still a popular spot for both locals and visitors bathing in the pool created by the falls.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WMH01125.jpg
Undated postcard but the sender writes that "there was a railway accident here last Friday" which would have been the Charlestown Curve disaster of 21st June 1912. Another card with the same image is postmarked 17 July 1912.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WMH00741.jpg
Undated postcard.The moorland road between Heptonstall and Colne looking in the Heptonstall direction with Blake Dean Bridge over Alcomden Water at the bottom.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS00965.jpg
Woodhouse Mill on left - new factory ( Heatherdale Fabrics) on right. Now Poly Hi-Solidor

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS00962.jpg
This former woollen mill is now apartments

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00267.jpg
The station on the Halifax –Bradford line opened at the same time as the line in August 1850. The station was closed in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00266.jpg
The station on the Halifax –Bradford line opened at the same time as the line in August 1850. The station was closed in 1953.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00264.jpg
Unidentified crests on either side of the arch on the east face of the railway overbridge on Water Lane built 1848/9 when the Halifax Branch was extended from Shaw Syke near to the town centre and onto Bradford, opening in 1850.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00263.jpg
East face of the railway overbridge built 1848/9 when the Halifax Branch was extended from Shaw Syke near to the town centre and onto Bradford, opening in 1850. Still in use.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00250.jpg
The station opened on the joint GNR/L&YR’s Halifax & Ovenden Junction Railway in 1880 nearly six years after the line between Halifax Station and Holmfield had opened. The station closed in 1955 when passenger service between Halifax and Queensbury…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00231.jpg
On the ‘short line’ between Bradford & Leeds, built by the Leeds Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway, which opened in 1854 and was operated from the start by the Great Northern Railway who subsequently acquired it. The station opened with the line…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00223.jpg
An intermediate station between Bradford Market Street Station, re-named Forster Square in 1924, and Shipley it was opened by the MR in 1875. The station was closed in 1965 and then demolished but a new unstaffed station was opened in 1987 with the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00222.jpg
The first station out of Bradford on the Midland’s line towards Shipley it was opened in 1868 and closed nearly a hundred years later in 1965. Seen here on the right is the sizeable Manningham Motive Power Depot which closed in 1967 and then…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00221.jpg
The first station out of Bradford on the Midland’s line towards Shipley it was opened in 1868 and closed nearly a hundred years later in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00212.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened with the line in 1884 and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all traffic in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00210.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened with the line in 1884 and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all traffic in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00208.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened with the line in 1884 and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00202.jpg
Haworth Station on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Oxenhope. From its earliest days it was busy with pilgrims to the shrine of the Bronte sisters. The line was…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2