<<< Back

Title: Hope Hall, Halifax - HLS01255

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS01255.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.

Title

Hope Hall, Halifax - HLS01255

Description

The sketch and description were originally published in The Halifax Courier in 1912-1913.

Hope Hall (Hope House originally) is thought to have been built some 160 years ago by David Stansfield (1719-1769). In its earlier days it was a beautiful home for notable local families, among them the Rawsons and Waterhouses. Green fields stretched almost without interruption as far as Stoney Royd and in other directions - except Northwards towards the town proper - the buildings were few. A high wall fenced the grounds down Hunger Hill and away up New Road to South Parade. The sketch shows what is now spoken of as the front of the house; it used to be the back. The greatest part of the hall is occupied by the Albany Club. PH/28.

Creator

Arthur Comfort

Date

1910s

Rights

PHDA - Hebden Bridge Local History Society

Relation

Pennine Horizons Digital Archive

Identifier

HLS01255.tif

Citation

Arthur Comfort, “Hope Hall, Halifax - HLS01255,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed March 1, 2024, https://penninehorizons.org/items/show/6545.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>