<<< Back

Title: Bradford Market Street Midland Station Train Shed c.1915 - DNT00216

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00216.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.

Title

Bradford Market Street Midland Station Train Shed c.1915 - DNT00216

Description

The station here was originally built in 1846 by the Leeds & Bradford Railway which had been formed to connect the two towns with a railway along the Aire Valley; it was acquired by the MR in 1853 who rebuilt the station. It was intended that when the L&YR line was completed from Halifax to Bradford in 1850 it would extend across Bradford to join up with the Midland Station but this never came about thus leaving Bradford to this day with two disconnected terminus stations only a few hundred metres apart. The station was re- built in 1890 to accommodate the MR’s Anglo-Scottish traffic resulting from construction of their Settle-Carlisle line; the train shed, seen here, covered six platforms. The station was also used by the NER primarily for their Harrogate services.

The station became known as Market Street Station and then in 1924 it was officially named Forster Square Station. In 1967 services were reduced to serving just Ilkley and Skipton with Leeds services discontinued but an hourly service has been restored. The station seen here has been demolished and replaced with a much truncated and utilitarian structure a little further west.

Creator

Unknown

Source

David Taylor

Rights

PHDA - David Taylor Collection

Citation

Unknown, “Bradford Market Street Midland Station Train Shed c.1915 - DNT00216,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed April 14, 2024, https://penninehorizons.org/items/show/32256.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>