Colour and black and white photos of the people, events and views of the Upper Calder Valley dating from ca. 1900 to the present day.
ca. 1900 - 2106
Copyright (c) 2006-2017 Pennine Horizons Digital Archive
The key was presented to Mrs D Hartley on the occasion of the official opening of the new Sunday School on December 1st 1934.
The key was presented to Mrs D Hartley on the occasion of the official openening of the new Birchcliffe Chapel Sunday School on December 1st 1934.
Clearly showing that it was a working canal.
Probably taken from the Midgley Road canal bridge.
Probably taken from Broadbottom, if only we had a date!
An interesting puicture showing how close they are at this point.
The parish church of St Peter's is in the centre, but what is in the containers next to the canal, presumably some sort of chemicals for a local mill.
The building with the interesting roof is the Co-op shop, now a private house, and is situated on the junction with Lee Mill Road. The building on the right is Gibralter Terrace.
the building in the centre of the picture has since been demolished.
- Community collection