Browse Items (12 total)

  • Tags: Calder Valley Line

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00126.jpg
Normanton Station was opened on 30th June 1840 by the North Midland Railway, later a constituent part of the Midland Railway, on its Leeds-Derby line and on the same day the York & North Midland Railway opened between Normanton and York and this was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00125.jpg
The station was opened by the M&LR at the same time as the section of its line between Hebden Bridge and Normanton and was Wakefield’s only station until Westgate Station was opened in 1867. The station was rebuilt in 1854 and is seen here late 19th…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00124.jpg
The station was opened by the M&LR at the same time as the section of its line between Hebden Bridge and Normanton and was Wakefield’s only station until Westgate Station was opened in 1867. The station was rebuilt in 1854 and its frontage seen here…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00123.jpg
The station was opened by the L&YR on 1st January 1850 about a mile east of their Horbury & Ossett Station at the junction of their new Barnsley Branch with original M&LR line. The station closed in 1929 but was replaced by a new station on the main…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00122.jpg
The first station situated in Horbury Bridge opened with this section of the M&LR on 5th October 1840 and was named Horbury & Ossett. It was replaced in 1902 with the island platform station seen here, still in Horbury Bridge, and renamed Ossett &…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00121.jpg
A station opened here at the same time as this section of the M&LR on 5th October 1840 and was the station for Huddersfield, reputedly built for the Armytage family of Kirklees Hall. It was closed in 1950.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00120.jpg
A very derelict looking Brighouse Station, date unknown. The first station here opened with the line in October 1840 and was to the east of Huddersfield Road and at the time was called 'Brighouse and Bradford Station' as there as then no railway to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00119.jpg
The first station at Elland opened in October 1840 at the same time as the section of the M&LR between Hebden Bridge and Normanton and was immediately to the east of Elland Tunnel. It was rebuilt a little to the east in 1865 and then again in 1894 as…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00118.jpg
The station on the M&LR’s Calder Valley Main Line was originally known as North Dean. It was opened in July 1844 on completion of the M&LR’s Halifax Branch which ran from a junction at North Dean up to a terminus station at Shaw Syke, south of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00111.jpg
Taken sometime between 1966 and 1973; a 1966 photo shows timber sleepers but here they are concrete and the station clock seen behind the second pillar had been removed by the time of a 1973 photo. The small steps on the platform were to assist…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00106.jpg
The Station Car Park at the top of Station Road in 2013. This had been the site of the large two bay Station Warehouse which was demolished in 1969 following serious fire damage. The formal landscaped car park was constructed in 1994.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00101.jpg
The station opened here when the section of the Manchester and Leeds Railway between Todmorden and Hebden Bridge was inaugurated in December 1840. The station closed in 1951 but the coal drops remained in use until the mid-1960s.

Photo David N…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2