<<< Back

Title: Guiseley Station - DNT00188

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00188.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.

Title

Guiseley Station - DNT00188

Description

The MR’s branch from the Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway to their Aire Valley line at Apperley Junction had opened in 1865 and the station at Guiseley was opened at the same time. The connection to the Aire Valley line was Leeds facing which meant that Bradford trains had either to reverse on and off the branch or be uncoupled and then coupled up to a new loco. To overcome this inconvenience in 1876 the MR built a spur from near Shipley on the Aire Valley Line to Esholt Junction a mile or so south of Guiseley Station. The NER obtained running powers over the line which enabled them to run a direct Harrogate/Bradford service without having to
go via Leeds with a change at Holbeck.

The original buildings have been demolished but the station remained open still with services to Ilkley, Leeds and Bradford Forster Square, now known as the Wharfedale Line. The line was electrified in 1994/5 and the station was re-developed in 2002.

Creator

Unknown

Source

David Taylor

Rights

PHDA - David Taylor Collection

Citation

Unknown, “Guiseley Station - DNT00188,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed April 14, 2024, https://penninehorizons.org/items/show/32228.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>