Browse Items (87 total)

  • Tags: Mill chimney

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BIM00878.jpg
To the very left is the fox and goose at the bottom of Heptonstall Road. The long row of houses is the back of Bridge Lanes.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BIM00530.jpg
The storey flats on the left have been replaced with private housing. Snow still in the wall bottoms on Wadsworth Moor.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BIM00506.jpg
Bottom right Calder Holmes playing field. On the left housing climbing the Birchcliffe hillside and top centre Chiserley.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MIC00102.jpg
In the late 1880's the Ellenroad spinning Company was formed to respond to the boom in the cotton trade. They turned to the well respected Oldham architects, Scott & Sons, to managed the design and construction.
The mill was a modern "fireproof"…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOS00128.jpg
Victoria Mill, Hebden Bridge (F & H Sutcliffe Ltd)
Chimney felled August 20th 1949
by W.B.Crossley & Co. Hebden Bridge following the mill Fire on 1st April 1949

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BIM00498.jpg
In the centre is the Co-op Car Park. Beehive Mill is bottom left and the former Neptune pub, now two dwellings, bottom right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BIM00497.jpg
Clearly a mill town. In the foreground is Pallis House and to its left smoke from a train in the cutting and above the smoke Holme House. On the left hillside Cross Lanes Methodist Chapel and dominant in the top centre Foster Mill.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BIM00496.jpg
Looking down on Market Street up the valley towards Todmorden. The landmark chimney of Calder Mill in the centre, much of the mill itself was destroyed by fire in November 1964.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BIM00473.jpg
Looking down Hebden Water towards its confluence with the Calder. The buildings immediate right have been replaced by purpose built shops and offices and above them the former Council Offices. The chimney of Bridge Mill on the left.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BIM00497.jpg
Clearly a mill town. In the foreground is Pallis House and to its left smoke from a train in the cutting and above the smoke Holme House. On the left hillside Cross Lanes Methodist Chapel and dominant in the top centre Foster Mill.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BIM00496.jpg
Looking down on Market Street up the valley towards Todmorden. The landmark chimney of Calder Mill in the centre, much of the mill itself was destroyed by fire in November 1964.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BIM00473.jpg
Looking down Hebden Water towards its confluence with the Calder. The buildings immediate right have been replaced by purpose built shops and offices and above them the former Council Offices. The chimney of Bridge Mill on the left.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00174.jpg
The Foster Lane chapel opened in 1904 and was closed and demolished in the mid-1960s. On the hillside top left is Cross Lanes United Methodist Chapel which had opened in 1840 but that too closed and was demolished in the 1960s. To the right is Foster…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00171.jpg
View over the town from the north hillside. Scout Rocks are on the left, with Scout Road School below.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00163.jpg
Looking over Centre Vale Mansion, which was demolished in the 1950s, to Stoodley Pike on the far hillside. To the right is the tower of Christ Church and on the skyline to the left the tower of Cross Stone Church.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00160.jpg
View over the town from the south west. A train can be seen pulling away from the station towards Hebden Bridge.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00155.jpg
View over the Baltimore area of Todmorden on the east side of the town, with Cross Stone Church just visible on the skyline.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00135.jpg
View over the town from the west. The remains of Fielden’s Waterside Mill, an old spinning mill built in 1800, can be seen on the right after a disastrous fire in 1901. The spire of the Unitarian Church, built by the Fieldens, is in the centre. The…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2