Browse Items (720 total)

  • Tags: Minster

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS03247.jpg
Looking down School Lane, the Central Methodist Church is on the right. and showing the 'new' Post Office, built in the 1960s

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS00480.jpg
Building to the left demolished C.1969. Chemist shop, Campbells furniture shop. Prior to that Haigh's dress shop.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS00468.jpg
The road in front of the chapel goes to Lumbutts., and Gauxholme arches are just below the centre of the picture/

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS00467.jpg
Only the chapel's gate and railings can be seen here. A chapel was first opened her by the New Connexion Methodists in 1816 but was sold to the Baptists in 1841. By 1878 they had outgrown it and a new Chapel was built on the site. It closed and was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS00464.jpg
The Chapel seen here fronted on to the side of the Town Hall. A breakaway group from the Wesleyan York Street Chapel gad opened a chapel here in 1838 but that chapel was demolished and replaced by this much larger one in 1873, dubbed the 'Cathedral…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS00463.jpg
The chapel front on the left and the side of the Town Hall on the right. A breakaway group from the Wesleyan York Street Chapel had opened a chapel here in 1838 but that chapel was demolished and replaced by this much larger one in 1873, dubbed the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS00462.jpg
A school and preaching room opened here in 1841 but they soon outgrew it and a new school and chapel opened in 1848 at Inchfield Bottom. This too proved too small and another chapel was built in 1861 as seen here.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS00461.jpg
The inscription over the central window reads ‘AD 1881’. The adjacent chapel had opened in 1854. The chapel closed in 1968 and the school was then used for services until that too closed in 1985 and was largely demolished as seen here although the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS00460.jpg
The Chapel was built in 1854 largely through the efforts of the Wilson Family of Wilson’s Bobbin Works and then the school in 1881. The chapel closed in 1968 and the school was then used as a chapel until that too closed in 1985 due to structural…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS00459.jpg
A Chapel was built in 1837 by a breakaway group from Mankinholes Chapel but as the congregation grew it was demolished and replaced by this larger building in 1877. The Chapel remains open as at 2015.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2