14. Municipal undertakings
Long before 1896, various firms or companies were making gas, not only for industry but for general use. In 1893, the Local Board purchased these undertakings (Fielden Bros, Wilson Bros, and The Todmorden Gas Co.) in an effort to provide a gas supply for all the townspeople. Practical difficulties arose, but in 1896 when the Council look over from the Local Board, the Gas Works al Millwood were established to centralise gas production at one point.
Todmorden Borough Council considered establishing an electricity supply for the town, but not until 1903 did finances allow the project to go forward.
In 1903, Mr H Waring was appointed Resident Electrician & Engineer. His job was to draw plans concerning the supply of electricity to the Borough. The supply was switched on in 1905. By 1913, demand was so great. power had to be obtained from the Yorks. Power Co. In post war years, we received supplies via the Yorkshire Electricity Board and then Yorkshire Electricity.
Prior to 1896, the inhabitants of the town had obtained water from private sources or from the Todmorden Water Co. In 1896 this company was taken over by the Corporation. Royal Assent was given in 1898 to the Todmorden Corporation Water Act and a new reservoir at Gorpley was built and opened in 1905. In 1961, we obtained our water via the Calderdale Water Board, but now at 1993, Yorkshire Water oversees the supply.
IMAGES ARE NOT FOR SALE – Please, do not remove the watermark or strip the metadata, thank you. PLEASE NOTE: IMAGES ARE FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY - PLEASE DO NOT REPOST For further information on the ROGER BIRCH COLLECTION please email firstname.lastname@example.org