<<< Back

Title: Hazlewood Castle - HLS05888

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05888.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.

Title

Hazlewood Castle - HLS05888

Subject

Animals, Architecture, Buildings, Ewe, Hall, Lamb, Lambs, Sheep

Description

Slide 1 - Hazlewood, the old baronial residence of the Vavasours, lies three miles west of Tadcaster in a well wooded park. Domesday Book is the first record of the existence of Hazlewood. It was then a thickly wooded manor, whose sylvan character is still faithfully represented by its name.

It has been the seat of the Vavasours from the time of Domesday until 1908 when the castle and estates were sold. Concerning the fabric of Hazlewood Castle we know but little, less indeed than we know of the family who held it continuously for more than 800 years. It is recorded that in 1289 Hazlewood was changed from a Hall into a Castle of the Baron. One of the Vavasours (Sir William) had a license in 1289 from Edward 1 to embattle Hazlewood.

Creator

George Hepworth

Source

Hebden Bridge Literary & Scientific Society

Date

1900s

Rights

PHDA - Hebden Bridge Local History Society

Identifier

HLS05888.tif

Citation

George Hepworth, “Hazlewood Castle - HLS05888,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed October 20, 2018, http://penninehorizons.org/items/show/7284.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Social Bookmarking