Browse Items (855 total)

  • Tags: Architecture

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06257.jpg
Bottom right is the Central Methodist Church, and the impressive building towards the top of the picture is Brighouse Library and the Smith Art Gallery.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06241.jpg
William Eddleston's Mill in Sowerby Bridge, taken from the bridge over the river on Town Hall Street.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06234.jpg
Photographed in early 1960's. This chimney is now a Grade II listed building.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06224.jpg
This shows the street going past Halifax Town Hall (on the right). The now demolished bowling alley in Broad Street is in the centre of the picture.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06220.jpg
This shows the view up Commercial Street, Rawson Street goes off to the right, the Post Office is on the left. The cupula on the top of what is now the Victoria Theatre can be seen.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06185.jpg
A view of Broad Street, just below the Town Hall which is just visible extreme right. April 1979

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06175.jpg
This buidling was on the junction of Cow Green and Pellon Lane. It was closed in 1968 and demolished in 1971. The road in the centre of the picture is the bottom of Gibbet Street. The area of town was also known as Swine Gate.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06174.jpg
Possibly looking down Wade Street from Market Street, where it joined Northgate. probably early 1960s, prior to the whole area being demolished.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06173.jpg
The Princes Arcade was a covered shopping area in the centre of Halifax. It was opened in 1931. It was closed in the late 1970s at the same time as the old Woolshops which were adjacent, prior to demolition. This is now the site of W H Smiths.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DPC00147.jpg
Crossley and Porter School History
The Crossley Heath school building owes its existence to the philanthropy of the Crossley brothers, Francis, John and Joseph. In 1857 they formulated a scheme for the establishment of a ‘superior College for the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DPC00131.jpg
Congregationalists had held regular meetings in Halifax since at least 1763 and the Square Chapel, named after the area although it is also square in shape, was opened in 1772 at a cost of over £2,000. The chapel was first preached in on 24th May…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00166.jpg
Todmorden Library was built by Todmorden Industrial and Co-operative Society and opened in 1897 and was handed over to Todmorden Borough Council. The library remains in the original building but is now part of the Calderdale Council's branch library…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC00561.jpg
G.V. II

Barn and attached cottage, probably contemporary with house (q.v.), c.1706 with inserted cottage late C18 into one bay of barn. Hammer dressed stone, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. Facade facing house has quoins, 3-light thin flat faced…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2