Browse Items (77 total)

  • Tags: Garden

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MCH00222.jpg
Clay House is a Jacobean building that is a fine example of 17th century vernacular architecture. It was built for John Clay and the Clay family around 1650, although a house owned by Robert Clay on the site is mentioned before in 1296. The grounds…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MCH00218.jpg
Clay House is a Jacobean building that is a fine example of 17th century vernacular architecture. It was built for John Clay and the Clay family around 1650, although a house owned by Robert Clay on the site is mentioned before in 1296. The grounds…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BIM00458.jpg
People's Park is one of the finest surviving examples of a "Joseph Paxton" Park. Created in 1857, the Park was donated to the people of Halifax by Sir Francis Crossley, to be maintained by the then Halifax Corporation for all time.

Situated at the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BIM00458.jpg
People's Park is one of the finest surviving examples of a "Joseph Paxton" Park. Created in 1857, the Park was donated to the people of Halifax by Sir Francis Crossley, to be maintained by the then Halifax Corporation for all time.

Situated at the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00120.jpg
The small timber Booking Office on the station approach road was opposite the east end of the down platform which is off the photo here to the left. On the left are the steps up to the footbridge which connected the platforms and was the only…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00112.jpg
Although the station had been closed for over a month the flower bed here on the down platform still looks well cared for. The other side of the fence is the small timber Booking Office connected to both platforms by the footbridge.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00153.jpg
The station seen here with very well maintained gardens was on the NER Castleford to Garforth single track line which opened in 1878 primarily for coal traffic and the Kippax coalfield. The line closed to passengers in 1951 and fully over its whole…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00146.jpg
Station staff posing for the camera on the ramp from the entrance building down to the eastbound platform with the footbridge to the westbound platform to the right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00106.jpg
The Station Car Park at the top of Station Road in 2013. This had been the site of the large two bay Station Warehouse which was demolished in 1969 following serious fire damage. The formal landscaped car park was constructed in 1994.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00251.jpg
Landscaping by the Civic Trust at Whitely Arches. Robert Helliwell, David Fletcher and Phillip longbottom

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00180.jpg
The shops on the left of the picture have since been demolished and the area is now a car park, but planted areas being created here are still in use. David Fletcher is pictured wearing a knitted sweater.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00166.jpg
The completed garden at Bankfoot, Hebden Bridge. Probably 1968/9.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00165.jpg
The former Royal Oak on the right, now residential, and the White lion on the left as of 2015 vacant and for sale.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2