Browse Items (50 total)

  • Tags: Leeds

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00184.jpg
The first station here, known as Pool, opened with the Leeds & Thirsk Railway in 1849 but was replaced a little to the south by the triangular junction station seen here when the NER opened their Otley Branch in 1865; it was re-named Arthington as a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00176.jpg
The first station here on the MR Aire Valley line opened in 1846 on completion of the Leeds & Bradford Railway and known originally as Calverley Bridge. The station was completely re-built c.1900 when the line was quadrupled with the main station…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00175.jpg
The first station here, known as Newlay, on the Leeds & Bradford Railway’s Aire Valley line opened in 1846 but the station seen here, possibly in MR days (ie pre-1923), dates from quadrupling the line in 1905 having been re-named Newlay & Horsforth…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00174.jpg
The station on the Leeds & Bradford Railway’s Aire Valley Line opened at the same time as the line in 1846 and became part of the MR network. The station was re-built when the line was quadrupled in about 1905 having been re-named Newlay & Horsforth…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00173.jpg
The first station was built here when the line opened in 1846 and was rebuilt, seen here looking towards Leeds, when the line was quadrupled in about 1905. The station closed in 1965.

A station at nearby Kirkstall Forge existed from 1860 to 1905…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00172.jpg
The station on the Leeds & Bradford Railway’s Aire Valley Line opened at the same time as the line in 1846 which became part of the MR network. A new station, the Leeds Platform seen here, was built when the line was quadrupled in about 1905 and the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00171.jpg
The station seen here looking very derelict. Originally just Armley it was the first station out of Leeds on the Bradford & Leeds Railway which opened via the Aire Valley in 1846 quickly being acquired by the MR. BR changed its name to Armley Canal…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00170.jpg
The station originally on the Leeds & Thirsk Railway (see Headingley Station) opened in 1849 and seen her with staff posing for the camera in NER days pre-1923. The station was de-staffed in 1969 and the buildings demolished. As a result of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00169.jpg
The first station out of Leeds centre on the Leeds & Thirsk Railway which opened between the two towns via Harrogate and Ripon in 1848 but because of problems with Bramhope Tunnel at over two miles in length services didn’t start until the following…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00168.jpg
Morley Top, seen here pre-First World War, was on the Leeds, Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway’s Gildersome Branch and extension which opened over its whole length between Laisterdyke and Ardsley in 1857 and was acquired by the GNR in 1865. The…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00167.jpg
Morly Low Station with excurtionists rushing to get on a LNWR Blackpool Special at Morley Feast. Towards the end of the 19th century it was common practice for railway companies to put on special trains for a town’s local holiday.

The word ‘Feast'…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00166.jpg
On the line between Leeds and Huddersfield which was originally constructed by the Leeds, Dewsbury & Manchester Railway but acquired by the LNWR by the time it opened in 1848 with the station at Morley, then just Morley. The station de-staffed…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00165.jpg
The station was on the Heaton Lodge & Wortley Railway from Huddersfield to Leeds, which always known as the ‘Leeds New Line’,and it opened at the same time as the line in 1900. Seen here pre-
First World War it only had a short existence being closed…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00164.jpg
The station on the LNWR Leeds-Huddersfield-Manchester line opened in 1848. In 1882 to overcome congestion on the joint approach to Wellington and New Stations the LNWR built a separate approach, which included the Farnley Viaduct, and the station was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00163.jpg
In 1878 a branch from Stanningley on the GNR Leeds-Bradford ‘short line was opened up to Pudsey Greenside with a station here. Then in 1893 a curve from Bramley to the Pudsey Branch was constructed which was then extended to Cutlers Junction at…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00162.jpg
In 1878 a branch from Stanningley on the GNR Leeds-Bradford ‘short line was opened up to the station here with an intermediate station at nearby Pudsey Lowtown. Then in 1893 a curve from Bramley to the Pudsey Branch was constructed which was then…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00161.jpg
The station on the GNR ‘short line’ between Leeds Central and Bradford Exchange had opened at the same time as the line in 1854. In 1878 a single track branch was opened from Stanningley to Pudsey but this was disconnected at Pudsey in 1893 when the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00160.jpg
On the 'short line' from Bradford to Leeds Central Station opened in 1854 by the Leeds, Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway which was acquired by the GNR in 1865. The station closed in 1966 and the buildings were demolished; a new station with bus…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00159.jpg
On the GNR ‘short line’ from Leeds Central to Bradford the station opened with the line in 1854. To the west of the station there was the junction with the Pudsey loop line which had opened in 1893 and closed in 1965. Bramley station closed in 1966…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00158.jpg
After Holbeck High level this was the first station out of Leeds Central on the GNR ‘short line’ to Bradford which had opened in 1854. The line was also used by the L&YR for their Leeds traffic from Bradford, Halifax and the west.The timetable…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00157.jpg
On the GNR Leeds - King Cross main line only a few miles out of Leeds centre it opened in 1860 and closed 1953.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00156.jpg
An intermediate station on the Bradford, Wakefield & Leeds Railway between Leeds and Wakefield which opened in 1857 and became part of the GNR network in 1865. The station closed in 1964.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00155.jpg
The original station was opened by the Bradford, Wakefield and Leeds Railway in 1858, and was originally named Lofthouse. This was renamed Lofthouse and Outwood in July 1865. It closed on 13 June 1960.[1] A different Lofthouse and Outwood station,…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00154.jpg
The station seen here in in LMS days (1923-1948) opened in 1841 at the same time as the Leeds – Derby line of the North Midland Railway, later a constituent part of the MR. The station closed in 1957 having been re-named Methley North in 1950 to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00153.jpg
The station seen here with very well maintained gardens was on the NER Castleford to Garforth single track line which opened in 1878 primarily for coal traffic and the Kippax coalfield. The line closed to passengers in 1951 and fully over its whole…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2