Browse Items (139 total)

  • Tags: Steam engine

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00125.jpg
Seen here at an unknown location sometime after restoration to its LNER livery and number.
The iconic Flying Scotsman was built in 1923 in Doncaster for the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER), and was one of Sir Nigel Gresley’s powerful A1…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00124.jpg
Believed to be number 44767 which had been named 'George Stephenson' in 1975.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00121.jpg
29th October 1962. Unknown locomotive passing through the station on the up line. Bottom left part of the down platform and junction with the Halifax line. To its right carriages stored on a siding.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00117.jpg
Former LMS Fowler 2-6-4T number 42384 steams through the station which had closed in September 1962 on the down line probably in October 1962 having just rolled over the junction with the Halifax Branch visible centre right. The loco was taken out of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00115.jpg
Viewed looking up the line probably in October 1962 just over a month after closure. The footbridge connected the two platforms with the small Booking Office, off the photo far right, as well as with one another. Between the two signal gantries is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00108.jpg
A former LMS Fowler Class 4F number 44457 passing through Greetland Station on the down line after closure of the station in September 1962. The loco went to the scrap yard in October 1964.

On the left behind the water turret carriages are stored…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00103.jpg
Seen here at an unknown location sometime after restoration to its LNER livery and number.

The iconic Flying Scotsman was built in 1923 in Doncaster for the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER), and was one of Sir Nigel Gresley’s powerful A1…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00102.jpg
Seen here at an unknown location sometime after restoration to its LNER livery and number. In the foreground an engine turn table.

The iconic Flying Scotsman was built in 1923 in Doncaster for the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER), and was …

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00101.jpg
The former LMS Black Five was withdrawn from BR service on 31 December 1967. The preserved loco is seen here at an unknown motive power depot sometime after having been named 'George Stephenson' in 1975.

For more information see…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00232.jpg
On the Halifax-Bradford line at its junction with the Spen Valley Line. The station opened in July 1848 the same time as the line between the junction and Bradford. As well as an important junction station it also served the Low Moor Ironworks which…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00231.jpg
On the ‘short line’ between Bradford & Leeds, built by the Leeds Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway, which opened in 1854 and was operated from the start by the Great Northern Railway who subsequently acquired it. The station opened with the line…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00230.jpg
Looking in the Halifax direction with the north portal of Bowling Tunnel all but hidden by smoke. The line in the centre continues to Bradford Exchange and the line going off to the left is the Bowling Curve to Laisterdyke where it joined the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00228.jpg
A passenger service approaching Bradford on the GNR’s Queensbury line with the branch to City Roads Goods which had opened in 1876 joining on the right. Horton Park Station is just visible beyond the last carriage, this had opened in 1880 and was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00224.jpg
The station, which had been known as Shipley Bridge Street, was the terminus of a loop line built by the GNR from Laisterdyke opening in 1875 with intermediate stations at Eccleshill, Idle and Thackley The station closed to passengers in 1931 and to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00222.jpg
The first station out of Bradford on the Midland’s line towards Shipley it was opened in 1868 and closed nearly a hundred years later in 1965. Seen here on the right is the sizeable Manningham Motive Power Depot which closed in 1967 and then…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00217.jpg
The approach to Forster Square Station in BR days. Date unknown but seemingly prior to dieselisation in the late ‘50s/early’60s. In the centre of the photo is Valley Road Power Station which closed in 1975 and was demolished in 1978.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00215.jpg
The station here was originally built in 1846 by the Leeds & Bradford Railway which had been formed to connect the two towns with a railway along the Aire Valley; it was acquired by the MR in 1853 who rebuilt the station. It was intended that when…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00206.jpg
The southern terminus of the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Keighley in LMS days in 1946. The line was operated by the MR from the start and acquired by them in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00189.jpg
The station on the MR’s Shipley – Guiseley line opened at the same time as the line in 1876 and was closed in 1940 and the building subsequently demolished. The line, now electrified but reduced to single track, remains in use for Bradford Forster…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00188.jpg
The MR’s branch from the Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway to their Aire Valley line at Apperley Junction had opened in 1865 and the station at Guiseley was opened at the same time. The connection to the Aire Valley line was Leeds facing which meant that…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00163.jpg
In 1878 a branch from Stanningley on the GNR Leeds-Bradford ‘short line was opened up to Pudsey Greenside with a station here. Then in 1893 a curve from Bramley to the Pudsey Branch was constructed which was then extended to Cutlers Junction at…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00159.jpg
On the GNR ‘short line’ from Leeds Central to Bradford the station opened with the line in 1854. To the west of the station there was the junction with the Pudsey loop line which had opened in 1893 and closed in 1965. Bramley station closed in 1966…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00155.jpg
The original station was opened by the Bradford, Wakefield and Leeds Railway in 1858, and was originally named Lofthouse. This was renamed Lofthouse and Outwood in July 1865. It closed on 13 June 1960.[1] A different Lofthouse and Outwood station,…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00144.jpg
The station, or probably a halt, on the Leeds Selby and York line was opened in 1930 by the LNER between Marsh Lane and Cross Gates stations following construction of a large housing estate. It was closed in 1960. The station is seen here possibly…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2