Browse Items (11 total)

  • Tags: Railway Goods Yard

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00232.jpg
On the Halifax-Bradford line at its junction with the Spen Valley Line. The station opened in July 1848 the same time as the line between the junction and Bradford. As well as an important junction station it also served the Low Moor Ironworks which…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00250.jpg
LYRS 2793n - Date unknown but in LYR days pre-1922 The Goods Yard is now the Station Car Park and the canopies and signals as well as the buildings on the left hand platform have now all gone. Cross Stone Church on the skyline

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00210.jpg
LYRS2701. Early 20thc. pre-1908 view across the railway station to the town. The passenger station, re-built 1891/2, wedged between Victoria Mill to its right and the large railway warehouse to the left, the second bay of which built in 1884 still…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00149.jpg
LYRS 2599 - Stainland Station & Goods Shed with Railmotor No 10614 (LMS) in the later 1920s.

The Stainland Branch left the Calder Valley Main Line at Greetland and opened in 1875 up to near Brookroyd Mills at Holywell Green, whose owners, the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00131.jpg
LYRS 3500 - Sowerby Bridge - panorama of trackwork. Note the unusual signals hanging from the gantry. The Goods Yards and Sidings were all lifted and the locomotive depot demolished in 1965 although the base of the water tower and coaling stage has…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00109.jpg
LYRS 2584 - Ripponden Station - general view of Goods Shed & Yard. The Branch from Sowerby Bridge to Ripponden opened in 1878 and then on to Rishworth in 1881. Although double track only one had ever been commercially used. The original intention…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/GEE00106.jpg
The Goods Yard about 1900. The small town was dominated by its mills with the all important and well equipped goods yard between the main line and the river. The yard closed in 1965 and the site is now an industrial estate.
Photo courtesy Stephen Gee…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/GEE00105.jpg
Station Road from the hillside. The goods yard was later extended over the open land. The main line is hidden from view at the bottom but the footbridge connecting the two platforms is just visible next to the Booking Office. The station closed in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05036.jpg
Crossley Mills in the centre of the picture, note the number of railway trucks in the foreground.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DTA00101.jpg
1950s. The large station warehouse was built in two stages between 1877 and 1884/5. When goods facilities were withdrawn in 1966 it was let for general warehousing but was demolished following serious fire damage in 1969. During the 1960s houses were…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2