Browse Items (44 total)

  • Tags: Railway Signals

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00229.jpg
An unusual triangular station built by the GNR in 1879 with buildings on all three platforms at the junctions of the Bradford – Halifax (GNR route), Bradford – Keighley and Halifax - Keighley lines, seen here the Halifax – Keighley platform early…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00183.jpg
The station on the section of the Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway between Skipton and Colne opened 1848 with the line. On the Colne side of the station was the junction for the Barnoldswick Branch. The station was closed in 1970 at the same time…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00118.jpg
The station on the M&LR’s Calder Valley Main Line was originally known as North Dean. It was opened in July 1844 on completion of the M&LR’s Halifax Branch which ran from a junction at North Dean up to a terminus station at Shaw Syke, south of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS00132.jpg
North Street, between the Town Hall and the viaduct, Todmorden. The building underneath the arch housed road salt. Note the train on the viaduct.

Bus number 2, registration number C-1503 and with its replacement single deck body following an…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00349.jpg
With nationalisation of the gas industry in 1949 the Hebden Royd's municipal gas works ere closed and subsequently demolishes as seen here. The 57ft chimney was left standing until 1956 when "carefully" brought down because of the gas mains under the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00458.jpg
The station looking east in L&YR days. The canopies have all now gone along with the platform building on the left and the goods siding which is now the station car park.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00457.jpg
A westbound train, headed by an Aspinall 4-4-2, departing from Mytholmroyd Station pre-First World War. It is running on the 'slow' lines which would have been unusual for an express train, possibly due to the 'fast' line being recently…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00306.jpg
LYRS2740. The Spen Valley Line connecting Mirfield on the Calder Valley Main Line with Low Moor opened in July 1848 and the line between Low Moor and Bradford opened in May 1850. The first station seen here looking towards Low Moor opened at the same…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00294.jpg
LYRS 6689 - From the 'Down' platform looking across to the 'up' platform. The signal box and the platform buildings seen here have been demolished. Passenger facilities are reduced to not very satisfactory shelters given the exposed position of the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00289.jpg
LYRS 6682 - Looking from the 'up' Manchester Platform across to the 'down' Leeds Platform. The buildings on the 'up' platform have been demolished and those on the 'down' platform not in use for rail users; on both platforms there are now not very…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00264.jpg
LYRS 8705 - Late 1960s. General view across the viaduct looking north east towards the junction with the Stansfield Curve beyond the signal box.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00258.jpg
LYRS 4339 - General view of the platforms, buildings and canopies with a siding behind the 'down' platform. The siding has gone as have the canopies, most of the buildings and the water tank.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00251.jpg
LYRS 2795 - This was the third station on the site and dates from 1881. Seen here in about 1910 looking west with Dobroyd Castle on the hillside. On the right the ‘down’ side warehouse and the carriages in the left hand bay would have formed a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00250.jpg
LYRS 2793n - Date unknown but in LYR days pre-1922 The Goods Yard is now the Station Car Park and the canopies and signals as well as the buildings on the left hand platform have now all gone. Cross Stone Church on the skyline

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00243.jpg
LYRS 2954 - Postcard view of the station, level crossing and signal box.

The station opened in 1849 and closed to passengers in 1958 and to goods in 1963. The road name, Station Approach, is the only indicator to its once existence but the level…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00242.jpg
LYRS 2953 - General view of the station building, level crossing and signal box looking north west towards Burnley.

The station opened in 1849 and closed to passengers in 1958 and to goods in 1963. The road name, Station Approach, is the only…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00240.jpg
LYRS 8707 - The Box at the Junction of the Stansfield or Todmorden Curve on the Todmorden - Burnley line with the spur up from Hall Royd Junction on the Leeds - Manchester line.

Passenger traffic over the Stansfield Curve ceased in 1965 and the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00239.jpg
LYRS6018. A confusing photo! The tracks in the centre curving off to the right form the Stansfield or Todmorden Curve heading to Stansfield Hall Junction on the 'Copy Pit' line to Burnley. The line in the foreground is the spur from Hall Royd…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00222.jpg
LYRS 8452 -Date unknown but after the demolition of Victoria Mill in the later 1960s. General view of the Goods Warehouse, platforms, station buildings and canopies looking east. Only one of the former three taking-in door hoists on the warehouse…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00220.jpg
LYRS6050. The large double bay station warehouse in 1963 but with only one of the former three taking-in door hoists left. Goods facilities were withdrawn in 1966 and the warehouse let for general storage. It was demolished in 1969 following a…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2