Browse Items (22 total)

  • Tags: Passengers

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00233.jpg
OK so it’s not Bradford but Morecambe did become known as ‘Bradford by the Sea’. The MR’s direct rail line between Bradford and Morecambe not only made it a favourite resort for trips and holidays for Bradford people but it got the name Bradford by…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00221.jpg
The first station out of Bradford on the Midland’s line towards Shipley it was opened in 1868 and closed nearly a hundred years later in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00216.jpg
The station here was originally built in 1846 by the Leeds & Bradford Railway which had been formed to connect the two towns with a railway along the Aire Valley; it was acquired by the MR in 1853 who rebuilt the station. It was intended that when…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00215.jpg
The station here was originally built in 1846 by the Leeds & Bradford Railway which had been formed to connect the two towns with a railway along the Aire Valley; it was acquired by the MR in 1853 who rebuilt the station. It was intended that when…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00210.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened with the line in 1884 and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all traffic in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00203.jpg
Haworth Station on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Keighley. From its earliest days it was busy with pilgrims to the shrine of the Bronte sisters. The line was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00202.jpg
Haworth Station on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Oxenhope. From its earliest days it was busy with pilgrims to the shrine of the Bronte sisters. The line was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00200.jpg
The Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway, acquired by the MR, between Shipley and Colne opened through Keighley in 1847 giving the town its first station. The station seen here with a large island platform dates from 1883 and is on the opposite side of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00196.jpg
An intermediate station on the MR’s Ilkley – Skipton line it opened with the line in 1888. The great popularity of Bolton Abbey made it a very busy station particularly in summer with excursion trains of several railway companies; it was also the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00189.jpg
The station on the MR’s Shipley – Guiseley line opened at the same time as the line in 1876 and was closed in 1940 and the building subsequently demolished. The line, now electrified but reduced to single track, remains in use for Bradford Forster…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00188.jpg
The MR’s branch from the Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway to their Aire Valley line at Apperley Junction had opened in 1865 and the station at Guiseley was opened at the same time. The connection to the Aire Valley line was Leeds facing which meant that…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00168.jpg
Morley Top, seen here pre-First World War, was on the Leeds, Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway’s Gildersome Branch and extension which opened over its whole length between Laisterdyke and Ardsley in 1857 and was acquired by the GNR in 1865. The…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00167.jpg
Morly Low Station with excurtionists rushing to get on a LNWR Blackpool Special at Morley Feast. Towards the end of the 19th century it was common practice for railway companies to put on special trains for a town’s local holiday.

The word ‘Feast'…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00163.jpg
In 1878 a branch from Stanningley on the GNR Leeds-Bradford ‘short line was opened up to Pudsey Greenside with a station here. Then in 1893 a curve from Bramley to the Pudsey Branch was constructed which was then extended to Cutlers Junction at…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00156.jpg
An intermediate station on the Bradford, Wakefield & Leeds Railway between Leeds and Wakefield which opened in 1857 and became part of the GNR network in 1865. The station closed in 1964.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00152.jpg
Seen here early 20th century on the NER’s Cross Gates – Wetherby line. This is the second station in Wetherby the first having been on the Church Fenton- Harrogate line but when the line from Cross Gates opened in 1876 it’s junction with the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00148.jpg
The first station on the NER Wetherby line after it branched off the Leeds-York/Selby line at Cross Gates but it was nearly ¾ mile from the village of that name. It opened at the same time as the line in 1876 and closed with the line in 1964. It’s…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00145.jpg
Originally on the Leeds & Selby Railway which opened in 1834 from Marsh Lane which was the first station in Leeds. However due to the machinations of George Hudson, the ‘Railway King’, it fell into disuse between 1840 and 1850 and the line was not…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00144.jpg
The station, or probably a halt, on the Leeds Selby and York line was opened in 1930 by the LNER between Marsh Lane and Cross Gates stations following construction of a large housing estate. It was closed in 1960. The station is seen here possibly…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00131.jpg
The station concourse Seen here late 19th or early 20th century and before ticket barriers were erected to the right of the newsagents. The station was accessed by New Station Street off Boar Lane. When it was built in 1869 by the LNWR and NER it…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00121.jpg
A station opened here at the same time as this section of the M&LR on 5th October 1840 and was the station for Huddersfield, reputedly built for the Armytage family of Kirklees Hall. It was closed in 1950.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2