Browse Items (129 total)

  • Tags: Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00300.jpg
As with other intermediate stations it opened with the line in 1850 and is seen here early 20th century. The station remains open but de-staffed since the mid-1960s with the buildings long demolished and replaced by a shelter on the sole platform on…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00299.jpg
Serving the villages of Shepley and Shelley it opened, like other intermediate stations, with the line in 1850. Only one platform is seen here as its staggered platforms were separated by a road overbridge to the right of the photo. The station…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00298.jpg
The station seen here early 20th century was the terminus of the Branch which had opened in 1850. Although the Branch was double track the station had only a single platform as seen here. The station and branch closed to passengers in 1959 and to all…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00297.jpg
The station opened with the Branch in 1850 and was the only intermediate station on the Branch, which was less than two miles in length. The station closed to passengers in 1959 and to goods in 1965 with the closure of the Branch by which time the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00296.jpg
The station at the junction with the Holmfirth Branch opened with the line and the Branch in 1850. The Branch closed in 1959 but the station survived both the closure and the Beeching cuts of the 1960s. Like other intermediate stations on the line it…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00295.jpg
The station opened with the line in 1850 but survived the Beeching cuts of the 1960s although the station buildings were mostly demolished and subsequently the line was reduced to single track. The station is seen here in 1927 looking in the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00294.jpg
The two sculptures, seen here early 1900s, both show trains leaving a tunnel. The first sculpture, seen here in the top right hand corner, was carved by local sculptor Thomas Stocks in about 1866 depicting a train of four wheeled coaches. The second…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00293.jpg
The station, south of the impressive Lockwood Viaduct, opened at the same time as the line in 1850. A small goods yard can just be made out on the far side of the road bridge.



Unusual features of the station were two stone carvings of trains…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00292.jpg
The station, seen here in 1910, was the terminus of the 31/2 mile Branch. The Branch opened to goods traffic in 1868 and to passengers in 1869. Passenger services were withdrawn from the Branch in 1949 and it closed fully in 1965. The site is now…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00291.jpg
The station, seen here in 1910, is named after the nearby large late 18th century house of that name. Reputedly the station was built to serve close-by Crosland Mill and reputedly was also used by the occupiers of Healey House and Crosland Hall for…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00290.jpg
The single track 31/2 mile Meltham Branch left the Huddersfield – Penistone Line from a junction south of Lockwood station opening to goods traffic in 1868 and to passengers the following year with a station at Netherton. The station is seen here…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00289.jpg
Lockwood was the first station out of Huddersfield on the Penistone Line and opened at the same time as the line in 1850, seen here early 20th century looking north in the Huddersfield direction. South of the station was the junction for the 31/2…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/PNH01563.jpg
The sorting sidings c.1950. Constructed in 1919 they were used to divide coal trains from the Yorkshire coalfields between those for the Manchester direction and those for the Burnley and north west. They operated 24 hours a day until closure in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/PNH00833.jpg
The newly built Shade School in 1904. Righthand corner the skew bridge over the Rochdale Canal with its castellated buttresses.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/PNH00832.jpg
General view pre-1914 over the No. 1 Viaduct and canal bridge looking up towards Walsden.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/PNH00778.jpg
Righthand corner Victoria Bridge over the River Calder leading up to the large station warehouse which was demolished in 1969 following a serious fire. To the front of the station building the demolition site of part of Victoria Mill and above the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/PNH00767.jpg
Replacing the original 1840 bowstring, or trussed frame, bridge over the Rochdale Canal with the metal trough bridge we see today. To the right the tall chimney of the former Calderside Mill.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/PNH00766.jpg
1939. Replacing the original 1840 bowstring, or trussed frame, bridge over the Rochdale Canal with the metal trough bridge we see today.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/PNH00765.jpg
1939. Replacing the original 1840 bowstring, or trussed frame, bridge over the Rochdale Canal with the metal trough bridge we see today.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/PNH00764.jpg
1939. Replacing the original 1840 bowstring, or trussed frame, bridge over the Rochdale Canal with the metal trough bridge we see today.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WMH01176.jpg
A promotional postcard published by the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway (L&YR) but unusually it was posted in Ghent, Belgium, to a Ghent address in November 1913. On the reverse as well as their usual discreet promotional message there is a red…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2