Browse Items (438 total)

  • Tags: Canal

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEP00456.jpg
Taken from the bridge over the canal. Note the Co-op on right and Watsons Mill on the left. The mill was demolished to allow the entrance to Midgley Road to be widened.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEP00455.jpg
The Chapel was built in 1887. Dry rot caused the chapel to be closed in 1960 and it was demolished in 1970. This picture may have been taken between those two dates.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00179.jpg
The station on the Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway between Shipley and Colne opened at the same time as the section of the line between Shipley and Keighley in March 1847. The station on its last day as seen here was near the Bingley Three Rise…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/COC00130.jpg
Brian Holden of the Rochdale Canal Society is standing next to Cllr Christopher O'Brien. The marina at Hebden Bridge. July 1985.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00251.jpg
Looking down the Upper Calder Valley. Cross Stone Church on the hillside with canal wharf in the centre.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00250.jpg
The long low building along the canal bank is Beeton Rope Works. Above left the western portal of Horsfall Tunnel.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00247.jpg
The Grade ll listed building situated on the Rochdale Canal between Todmorden and Eastwood. It was built in 1832 as a steam powered cotton mill but by the mid-20th century lay derelict and then in 1994 it was gutted by a fire. It was subsequently…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00171.jpg
View over the town from the north hillside. Scout Rocks are on the left, with Scout Road School below.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00145.jpg
1904/05 and a busy industrial scene, looking east towards Todmorden. To the right can be seen a section of the long, low viaduct, and further in the distance the bow string bridge with its castellated abutments. In the centre foreground is the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00143.jpg
Looking towards Hebden Bridge with far left the cobbled double side sloping track up to the station. The track is still there but the station closed to passengers in 1951.

The street facing you is Valley Street. In front is James (Jimmy) Mitchell's…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2