Browse Items (342 total)

  • Tags: Colour
The station opened here when the section of the Manchester and Leeds Railway between Todmorden and Hebden Bridge was inaugurated in December 1840. The station closed in 1951 but the coal drops remained in use until the mid-1960s.

Photo David N…
The infirmary's building in Free School Lane, Halifax, was opened on 28 April 1896 by the Duke and Duchess of York (the future George V and Queen Mary), who also opened the town's Borough Market that day. It is said that Queen Victoria had given…
Undated postcard. The image is probably early 20th century. Right of centre is Foster Mill and dam with Hebden Water below it. The old Birchcliffe Chapel can be seen on the hillside above town.
Postcard with November 1906 postmark. As seen here it was a popular beauty spot near Mytholmroyd.
The Rochdale Canal is lined with mills including Calder Mill with its tall chimney on the left. The chimney remains but the storeyed mill was destroyed by fire in 1964. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive
Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive
The chimney of Calder Mill can be seen prominently on the left. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive
Donated by Karen Senior
This was just one of several refreshment facilities at the Crags catering for the vast numbers of visitors who came from the mill towns on both sides of the Pennines. A little below it is Gibson Mill 'entertainment emporium'.
Postcard. Addressed to Mrs Ada Helliwell, sent c/o address in Birkby, Huddersfield, by her husband Jim
Postcard, addressed to Mrs Ada Helliwell, c/o address in Blackpool, sent by her sister Anne
The school which opened in 1875 as a Board School was opposite the railway station, seen here above the school. To the left of the station is Cockden Mill. The school closed in 1946 and was subsequently demolished.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2