Browse Items (1254 total)

  • Tags: Places
Towards the top left of the picture can be seen the former railway viaduct at Wyke. This was part of the 'Pickle Bridge' line that linked the Halilfax- Bradford line with Brighouse. In this view it appears to be complete. It was partially…
Bottom right is the Central Methodist Church, and the impressive building towards the top of the picture is Brighouse Library and the Smith Art Gallery.
The building on the right was the South End School. It was closed and demolished and is now the site of the Co-op. Some of the stone was used on the new building.
Shops adjacent to St Paul's Methodist Church
This church was first established arond 1180 and the main part of the building is believed to have been built in the 14th and 15th centuries.
Taken in the early 1960s. Halifax Royal Infirmary is towards the right of the picture, and at the bottom is Crossley Heath School.
A view up Crossley Street from Northgate. Buses clearly used to stop here. The 512 service serves Mixenden to this day.
The junction of Lower Kirkgate and Berry Lane, Halifax. Mackintosh's factory is in the background, the chimney is still there. The coal shoots were just off the picture to the right.
A view of Broad Street, just below the Town Hall which is just visible extreme right. April 1979
Can anybody help? Ref: 088264

Tags: ,
Unknown but possibly Northgate, Halifax prior to redevelopment. Can anybody help?
Can anybody help?
The church building appears to be Northgate End Chapel. This area was redeveloped in the early 1980s and is now part of the bus station.
To the right centre of the view can be seen Hunger Hill with The Shay Stadium to the left of it and Shaw Lodge flats at the very left. In the foreground is the industrial area around Water Hill and the railway line can be seen crossing the picture…
Picture probably taken from Beacon Hill, shows Hunger Hill in the centre with The Shay Stadium (then both Football and Speedway) to the left and below that the industrial area around Water Hill. To the top right of the picture can be seen the then…
This buidling was on the junction of Cow Green and Pellon Lane. It was closed in 1968 and demolished in 1971. The road in the centre of the picture is the bottom of Gibbet Street. The area of town was also known as Swine Gate.
Possibly looking down Wade Street from Market Street, where it joined Northgate. probably early 1960s, prior to the whole area being demolished.
The Princes Arcade was a covered shopping area in the centre of Halifax. It was opened in 1931. It was closed in the late 1970s at the same time as the old Woolshops which were adjacent, prior to demolition. This is now the site of W H Smiths.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2