Browse Items (77 total)

  • Tags: Viaduct

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00244.jpg
The viaduct from the station to Beacon Hill Tunnel on the Bradford/Leeds line and just off the image to the right the preserved coal drops. Centre right the lighter stone work covers the abutment to the former viaduct that carried the line to North…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00116.jpg
Repairing the fence on the unusual viaduct platform. The station is well above the valley floor resulting in the platforms running along the length of the viaduct but they also overhung it supported by massive brackets. The now disused station…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00216.jpg
Nott Wood Viaduct in the centre with Robinwood Mill to its right. To the right of the viaduct the former primary school now the Robinwood Activity Centre.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00215.jpg
The 13 arch Nott Wood Viaduct, Lydgate, on the Todmorden-Burnley 'Copy Pit' line, completed 1849. Robinwood Mill on the left.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00162.jpg
Looking down on the town, with the Unitarian Church on the left and the gable of the Town Hall nearly centre.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00159.jpg
Looking down Burnley Road towards the town centre viaduct. Date unknown.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00146.jpg
The Stansfield or Todmorden Curve going off centre left after the signal box at the end of the viaduct, with the coal drops in front of the box. The curve provided a connection from Todmorden Station onto the 'Copy Pit' line to Burnley and the North…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00145.jpg
1904/05 and a busy industrial scene, looking east towards Todmorden. To the right can be seen a section of the long, low viaduct, and further in the distance the bow string bridge with its castellated abutments. In the centre foreground is the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00140.jpg
Behind the viaduct is Calderside Mill built in the 1820s by John Whiteley, after whom the viaduct came to be named. Reputedly it had the tallest chimney in the valley.

The bridge over the canal was a very early skew bridge and also one of the very…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00114.jpg
A rambling viaduct of 17 stone spans of 35ft and 1 of 60ft plus the iron span bridge over the Rochdale Canal, much plainer than its more famous neighbour to the east of the viaduct.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00156.jpg
The platforms not only extended along the viaducts but also extended over its sides it supported by the massive brackets seen here.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00153.jpg
The platforms not only extended along the viaducts but also extended over its sides it supported by the massive brackets seen here.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00152.jpg
On the branch from Greetland on the Calder Valley Main Line upto Holywell Green and Stainland. The line closed to passenger traffic in the 1920s and to goods in 1958.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00141.jpg
On the branch from Greetland on the Calder Valley Main Line upto Holywell Green and Stainland. The line closed to passenger traffic in the 1920s and to goods in 1958.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS00133.jpg
North Street, Burnley Road, Todmorden. The 3 storey building in the centre of the picture is where the market is today.

This was the early terminus for bus services along Burnley Road. The vehicle in shot is believed to be a Ryknield, number 5.…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS00132.jpg
North Street, between the Town Hall and the viaduct, Todmorden. The building underneath the arch housed road salt. Note the train on the viaduct.

Bus number 2, registration number C-1503 and with its replacement single deck body following an…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06018.jpg
Clearly visible is the Dean Clough Mill (where the words Crossley Kosset are visible). The bus appears to be a 681, a service to Bradford that still runs today (2017).

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06009.jpg
This view shows part of Halifax town centre. The car park in the middle of the picture is now the site of Marks and Spencers, the large building on the right with the 'pyramid' roof is the old Zion Chapel. This is now the site of the bus station.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00265.jpg
c1966, this was one of Calder Civic Trust's first projects - creating a small garden on a piece of long derelict land in the ownership of British Rail. The relic of this garden remains (2014) in front of the Catholic Church, which has replaced the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00251.jpg
Landscaping by the Civic Trust at Whitely Arches. Robert Helliwell, David Fletcher and Phillip longbottom

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TNC00494.jpg
Work on what is now the car park at Brook Street. The post office is still situated in the building shown here on the left of the shot. The now demolished cinema visible through the second arch of the railway viaduct with the market hall to the right…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TNC00396.jpg
During restoration work on the Rochdale Canal. The metal trough bridge crossing the canal at the western end of the long rambling Gauxholme Viaduct.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TNC00373.jpg
A good view of the Todmorden - Burnley railway line, the Copy Pit Line, and Lydgate or Nott Wood Viaduct. In the distance Mons Mill, demolished in 2000, and Stoodley Pike on the skyline top right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TNC00326.jpg
View over Gauxholme with the railway on the left curving to cross the Gauxholme Viaduct with the tower of Dobroyd Castle visible above it.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2