Browse Items (185 total)

  • Tags: Station Building

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00119.jpg
The down platform buildings following closure of the station in September 1962. Apart from the signal box seen here which survived until 2009 the station was demolished in 1965.

The Second World War signal box was built by the LMS in 1941…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00117.jpg
Former LMS Fowler 2-6-4T number 42384 steams through the station which had closed in September 1962 on the down line probably in October 1962 having just rolled over the junction with the Halifax Branch visible centre right. The loco was taken out of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00115.jpg
Viewed looking up the line probably in October 1962 just over a month after closure. The footbridge connected the two platforms with the small Booking Office, off the photo far right, as well as with one another. Between the two signal gantries is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00114.jpg
By the time of this photo the station had been closed for over a month and, apart from the signal box, was demolished in 1965.

The Second World War box was built by the LMS in 1941 replacing the L&YR 1878 box. To the far left of the photo part of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00113.jpg
Probably seen here in October 1962 following closure of the station the previous month.

The Second World War box was built by the LMS in 1941 replacing the L&YR 1878 box. To the far left of the image part of the up platform building.

The…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00267.jpg
The station on the Halifax –Bradford line opened at the same time as the line in August 1850. The station was closed in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00252.jpg
On the left part of Eureka Children’s Museum but this and all the grassed area seen here had been lines and platforms built in the mid-1880s for use by the GNR. To the right is the handsome Italian style station building dating from 1855 but now used…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00233.jpg
OK so it’s not Bradford but Morecambe did become known as ‘Bradford by the Sea’. The MR’s direct rail line between Bradford and Morecambe not only made it a favourite resort for trips and holidays for Bradford people but it got the name Bradford by…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00232.jpg
On the Halifax-Bradford line at its junction with the Spen Valley Line. The station opened in July 1848 the same time as the line between the junction and Bradford. As well as an important junction station it also served the Low Moor Ironworks which…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00231.jpg
On the ‘short line’ between Bradford & Leeds, built by the Leeds Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway, which opened in 1854 and was operated from the start by the Great Northern Railway who subsequently acquired it. The station opened with the line…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00229.jpg
An unusual triangular station built by the GNR in 1879 with buildings on all three platforms at the junctions of the Bradford – Halifax (GNR route), Bradford – Keighley and Halifax - Keighley lines, seen here the Halifax – Keighley platform early…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00226.jpg
An intermediate station on the GNR’s loop line from Laisterdyke to Shipley which had opened in 1875. The station here opened at the same but closing to passengers in 1931 and to goods in 1964 and the line finally closed over its whole length in1968.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00225.jpg
An intermediate station on the GNR’s loop line from Laisterdyke to Shipley which had opened in 1875. The station here opened three years later in 1878 and closed to passengers in1931 and to goods in 1964 and the line finally closed over its whole…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00224.jpg
The station, which had been known as Shipley Bridge Street, was the terminus of a loop line built by the GNR from Laisterdyke opening in 1875 with intermediate stations at Eccleshill, Idle and Thackley The station closed to passengers in 1931 and to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00223.jpg
An intermediate station between Bradford Market Street Station, re-named Forster Square in 1924, and Shipley it was opened by the MR in 1875. The station was closed in 1965 and then demolished but a new unstaffed station was opened in 1987 with the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00222.jpg
The first station out of Bradford on the Midland’s line towards Shipley it was opened in 1868 and closed nearly a hundred years later in 1965. Seen here on the right is the sizeable Manningham Motive Power Depot which closed in 1967 and then…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00221.jpg
The first station out of Bradford on the Midland’s line towards Shipley it was opened in 1868 and closed nearly a hundred years later in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00212.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened with the line in 1884 and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all traffic in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00211.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened in 1886, two years after the line, and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00210.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax. The station opened with the line in 1884 and closed in 1955 at the same time as the line closed to passenger traffic, closing to all traffic in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00209.jpg
On the GNR line between Keighley and Queensbury where it had connected with lines to Bradford and Halifax and seen here in a very derelict condition following closure in 1955 at the same time as the line.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00207.jpg
The southern terminus of the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Keighley possibly in MR days. The line was operated by the MR from the start and acquired by them in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00206.jpg
The southern terminus of the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Keighley in LMS days in 1946. The line was operated by the MR from the start and acquired by them in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00205.jpg
An intermediate station between Keighley and Haworth, on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line and seen here in MR days with station staff posing for the camera. The line was operated by the MR…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00204.jpg
A sad and near derelict station in BR days in the 1950s. The station closed in 1961 and the line in 1962 re-opening as a heritage railway in 1968. The station has now been fully restored and is the headquarter of the Keighley and Worth Valley…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2