Browse Items (47 total)

  • Tags: Midland Railway

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00233.jpg
OK so it’s not Bradford but Morecambe did become known as ‘Bradford by the Sea’. The MR’s direct rail line between Bradford and Morecambe not only made it a favourite resort for trips and holidays for Bradford people but it got the name Bradford by…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00223.jpg
An intermediate station between Bradford Market Street Station, re-named Forster Square in 1924, and Shipley it was opened by the MR in 1875. The station was closed in 1965 and then demolished but a new unstaffed station was opened in 1987 with the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00222.jpg
The first station out of Bradford on the Midland’s line towards Shipley it was opened in 1868 and closed nearly a hundred years later in 1965. Seen here on the right is the sizeable Manningham Motive Power Depot which closed in 1967 and then…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00221.jpg
The first station out of Bradford on the Midland’s line towards Shipley it was opened in 1868 and closed nearly a hundred years later in 1965.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00218.jpg
In the 1960s the Victorian glazed roof was dismantled and replaced with the butterfly awnings seen here and about the same time services from the station were drastically reduced following closure of lines and stations. In 1990 a new truncated…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00216.jpg
The station here was originally built in 1846 by the Leeds & Bradford Railway which had been formed to connect the two towns with a railway along the Aire Valley; it was acquired by the MR in 1853 who rebuilt the station. It was intended that when…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00215.jpg
The station here was originally built in 1846 by the Leeds & Bradford Railway which had been formed to connect the two towns with a railway along the Aire Valley; it was acquired by the MR in 1853 who rebuilt the station. It was intended that when…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00214.jpg
In the centre the single storey entrance to the Midland Market Street Station which had been rebuilt and enlarged in 1890 largely to accommodate the increased traffic from the MR’s recently completed independent Anglo Scottish line, the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00213.jpg
The original station here was built in 1846 by the Leeds & Bradford Railway which had been formed to connect the two towns by railway along the Aire Valley. The company was acquired by the MR in 1853 who rebuilt the station seen here and this in turn…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00207.jpg
The southern terminus of the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Keighley possibly in MR days. The line was operated by the MR from the start and acquired by them in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00206.jpg
The southern terminus of the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Keighley in LMS days in 1946. The line was operated by the MR from the start and acquired by them in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00205.jpg
An intermediate station between Keighley and Haworth, on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line and seen here in MR days with station staff posing for the camera. The line was operated by the MR…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00204.jpg
A sad and near derelict station in BR days in the 1950s. The station closed in 1961 and the line in 1962 re-opening as a heritage railway in 1968. The station has now been fully restored and is the headquarter of the Keighley and Worth Valley…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00203.jpg
Haworth Station on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Keighley. From its earliest days it was busy with pilgrims to the shrine of the Bronte sisters. The line was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00202.jpg
Haworth Station on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 at the same time as the line, seen here looking towards Oxenhope. From its earliest days it was busy with pilgrims to the shrine of the Bronte sisters. The line was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00201.jpg
Damens Station seen here in MR days on the single track Keighley & Worth Valley Railway opened in 1867 a few months after the line had been inaugurated and reputedly was Britain's smallest standard-gauge railway station. The line was operated by the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00200.jpg
The Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway, acquired by the MR, between Shipley and Colne opened through Keighley in 1847 giving the town its first station. The station seen here with a large island platform dates from 1883 and is on the opposite side of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00199.jpg
The Leeds & Bradford Extension Railway, later a part of the MR, between Shipley and Colne opened through Keighley in 1847 giving the town its first station. The station seen here dates from 1883 and is on the opposite side of Bradford Road to the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00198.jpg
Known as Grassington & Threshfield Station it was the terminus of the Yorkshire Dales Railway and opened with the line from Embsay Junction on the MR’s Ilkley Skipton Line in 1902; it was operated throughout by the MR. Regular passenger services were…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00197.jpg
An intermediate station on the MR’s Ilkley – Skipton line it opened with the line in 1888. Seen here in a very sorry condition probably after closure in 1965.

It was re-opened in 1981 by the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway - …

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00196.jpg
An intermediate station on the MR’s Ilkley – Skipton line it opened with the line in 1888. The great popularity of Bolton Abbey made it a very busy station particularly in summer with excursion trains of several railway companies; it was also the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00195.jpg
An intermediate station on the MR’s Ilkley – Skipton line it opened with the line in 1888. The station closed with the line in 1965 and the station buildings subsequently demolished and the site is now a housing estate.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00194.jpg
The western terminus of the ‘Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway’ the joint MR/NER station opened with the line in 1865. In 1888 the MR opened a line from Ilkley to Skipton with their own through platforms which were regarded as a separate station from the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00192.jpg
The station on the MR/NER ‘Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway ‘opened at the same time as the line in August 1865. The station was de-staffed in 1968 and the buildings demolished and replaced by bus stop style shelters, the line was electrified in 1994/5.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00191.jpg
The station seen here in MR days is on the MR’s Shipley – Guiseley line and opened at the same time as the line in 1876 and was closed in 1953 and the buildings subsequently demolished. An unstaffed station was re-opened in 1973 and the line, now…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2