Browse Items (14 total)

  • Tags: Statue

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00214.jpg
In the centre the single storey entrance to the Midland Market Street Station which had been rebuilt and enlarged in 1890 largely to accommodate the increased traffic from the MR’s recently completed independent Anglo Scottish line, the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00135.jpg
In the centre the War Memorial which was dedicated in 1922. To the left with the clock is the now demolished Royal Exchange Chambers and on the right the old Midland Railway’s Queens Hotel and to the right of that the gates into Wellington Station.…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00134.jpg
On the right the imposing general Post Office building which still stands today although no longer the post Office. On the left just out of view to the front of the tram was the entrance to Wellington Station whilst looking ahead is Wellington Street…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DPC00104.jpg
Situated in West View Park, Warley Road, Halifax. A proud soldier dressed in the uniform of an officer in the Boer War with binoculars in one hand and holding a rifle in the other. The bronze statue sculptured by Benjamin Shepherd of Chelsea tops the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS00528.jpg
The Town Hall opened in 1875 and the statue of John Fielden, seen here, was moved to Fielden Square in 1890.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00325.jpg
The Garden of Remembrance and War Memorial in Centre Vale Park, which was unveiled on 9th October 1921. The area, which was originally the kitchen garden for Centre Vale Mansion, includes statuary by the sculptor Gilbert Bayes. Nearby is the statue…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00355.jpg
In memory of his activities, a statue was originally erected by Todmorden Town Hall in 1875. It was then moved to Fielden Square in 1890. It was moved to its present location in Centre Vale Park in 1939.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05967.jpg
Slide 8 - There are some delightful old flower gardens attached to the Hall. In front of one of the greenhouses, there is a curious statue of a Negro, kneeling, and supporting a tablet with a sundial on the top, with the motto -

'Let others tell…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05964.jpg
Slide 5 - On the right are several specimens of cypresses and a couple of beautiful cedars. On the north side of the Hall is the historic bowling green at which Charles 1 passed five consecutive days in his favourite amusements, while waiting for…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05963.jpg
Slide 4 - On the lawn towards the west of the house is a statue in Roman dress of the first Sir Richard Graham commemorating his services in the Royal cause at Edge Hill, where he lay wounded all night.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05815.jpg
Slide 3 - A fine marble monument to Archbishop Tillotson

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05807.jpg
Slide 6 - Entering the house by the door in the west wing we are shown into the Entrance Hall, or Gallery, which was added, as stated, the 18th century by Vanbrugh.

It conforms in all its details to the severely classic style prevailing at that…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS01367.jpg
Local History Society outing, 4.9.1988. PH14.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2