Browse Items (8 total)

  • Tags: Station Entrance

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00233.jpg
OK so it’s not Bradford but Morecambe did become known as ‘Bradford by the Sea’. The MR’s direct rail line between Bradford and Morecambe not only made it a favourite resort for trips and holidays for Bradford people but it got the name Bradford by…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00214.jpg
In the centre the single storey entrance to the Midland Market Street Station which had been rebuilt and enlarged in 1890 largely to accommodate the increased traffic from the MR’s recently completed independent Anglo Scottish line, the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00213.jpg
The original station here was built in 1846 by the Leeds & Bradford Railway which had been formed to connect the two towns by railway along the Aire Valley. The company was acquired by the MR in 1853 who rebuilt the station seen here and this in turn…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00194.jpg
The western terminus of the ‘Otley & Ilkley Joint Railway’ the joint MR/NER station opened with the line in 1865. In 1888 the MR opened a line from Ilkley to Skipton with their own through platforms which were regarded as a separate station from the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00147.jpg
The attractively decorated interior of the entrance porch to the station with staff posing for the camera in NER days.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00135.jpg
In the centre the War Memorial which was dedicated in 1922. To the left with the clock is the now demolished Royal Exchange Chambers and on the right the old Midland Railway’s Queens Hotel and to the right of that the gates into Wellington Station.…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00125.jpg
The station was opened by the M&LR at the same time as the section of its line between Hebden Bridge and Normanton and was Wakefield’s only station until Westgate Station was opened in 1867. The station was rebuilt in 1854 and is seen here late 19th…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00124.jpg
The station was opened by the M&LR at the same time as the section of its line between Hebden Bridge and Normanton and was Wakefield’s only station until Westgate Station was opened in 1867. The station was rebuilt in 1854 and its frontage seen here…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2