Browse Items (22 total)

  • Tags: Railway junction

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00122.jpg
Probably after the station’s closure in September 1962. Viewed looking down the line and on the right part of the up platform and behind it carriages in a siding. Beyond the carriages is the disconnected junction and track bed of the Stainland Branch…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00121.jpg
29th October 1962. Unknown locomotive passing through the station on the up line. Bottom left part of the down platform and junction with the Halifax line. To its right carriages stored on a siding.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00118.jpg
Looking from the down platform obliquely up the line in the Sowerby Bridge direction. Off the up line carriages stored on a siding and between the signal gantries on the right the junction with the Halifax Branch. The station had closed the previous…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00117.jpg
Former LMS Fowler 2-6-4T number 42384 steams through the station which had closed in September 1962 on the down line probably in October 1962 having just rolled over the junction with the Halifax Branch visible centre right. The loco was taken out of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00115.jpg
Viewed looking up the line probably in October 1962 just over a month after closure. The footbridge connected the two platforms with the small Booking Office, off the photo far right, as well as with one another. Between the two signal gantries is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00114.jpg
By the time of this photo the station had been closed for over a month and, apart from the signal box, was demolished in 1965.

The Second World War box was built by the LMS in 1941 replacing the L&YR 1878 box. To the far left of the photo part of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00108.jpg
A former LMS Fowler Class 4F number 44457 passing through Greetland Station on the down line after closure of the station in September 1962. The loco went to the scrap yard in October 1964.

On the left behind the water turret carriages are stored…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00232.jpg
On the Halifax-Bradford line at its junction with the Spen Valley Line. The station opened in July 1848 the same time as the line between the junction and Bradford. As well as an important junction station it also served the Low Moor Ironworks which…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00231.jpg
On the ‘short line’ between Bradford & Leeds, built by the Leeds Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway, which opened in 1854 and was operated from the start by the Great Northern Railway who subsequently acquired it. The station opened with the line…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00230.jpg
Looking in the Halifax direction with the north portal of Bowling Tunnel all but hidden by smoke. The line in the centre continues to Bradford Exchange and the line going off to the left is the Bowling Curve to Laisterdyke where it joined the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00229.jpg
An unusual triangular station built by the GNR in 1879 with buildings on all three platforms at the junctions of the Bradford – Halifax (GNR route), Bradford – Keighley and Halifax - Keighley lines, seen here the Halifax – Keighley platform early…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00228.jpg
A passenger service approaching Bradford on the GNR’s Queensbury line with the branch to City Roads Goods which had opened in 1876 joining on the right. Horton Park Station is just visible beyond the last carriage, this had opened in 1880 and was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00118.jpg
The station on the M&LR’s Calder Valley Main Line was originally known as North Dean. It was opened in July 1844 on completion of the M&LR’s Halifax Branch which ran from a junction at North Dean up to a terminus station at Shaw Syke, south of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00149.jpg
View of the central railway triangle, taken from Ridgefoot in the late 19th Century showing the coal chutes on Stansfield Road, and beyond, the triangle with a void at its centre. Immediately beyond the coal chutes on the left is the Stansfield, or…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/JCA00322.jpg
Wigan and Preston lines to the left and the Blackburn Branch curving away to the right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/JCA00320.jpg
Viewed from the Hindley and Wigan direction. To the right the line to Pendleton and Manchester, Bolton straight on and to Blackpool and Horwich on the left.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/JCA00317.jpg
Looking north towards Halifax Station with Dryclough Junction Signal Box in the distance. To the right the 1844 M&LR line coming up from the Calder Valley Main Line at Salterhebble which was closed 1988 and re-opened 2000. On the left the WRU line…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/JCA00316.jpg
The Stainland Branch going off to the right with the east end of Greetland Station up platform; the main line continuing towards Elland Tunnel. Greetland Station itself closed in 1962 and the Stainland Branch had closed to passenger traffic in 1929…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2