Browse Items (31 total)

  • Tags: Station Approach

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00122.jpg
Probably after the station’s closure in September 1962. Viewed looking down the line and on the right part of the up platform and behind it carriages in a siding. Beyond the carriages is the disconnected junction and track bed of the Stainland Branch…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00120.jpg
The small timber Booking Office on the station approach road was opposite the east end of the down platform which is off the photo here to the left. On the left are the steps up to the footbridge which connected the platforms and was the only…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/NGH00110.jpg
View looking up the approach road. On the right is the small timber Booking Office and on the left the signal box and down platform buildings. The footbridge connected the platforms and was the only passenger access to the up platform.

The station…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00248.jpg
The high level access was built in the mid-1880s when the station was considerably enlarged including sidings, lines and platforms to the front of the station now, as seen here, car parking and access road to Eureka Children’s Museum. To the right a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00234.jpg
The arrival of the Prince of Wales for the opening of the Town Hall in August 1863. A rare image of the 1855 station with the original curving carriage drive from opposite the bottom of Horton Strret to a central portico. When the station was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00160.jpg
On the 'short line' from Bradford to Leeds Central Station opened in 1854 by the Leeds, Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway which was acquired by the GNR in 1865. The station closed in 1966 and the buildings were demolished; a new station with bus…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00130.jpg
However all is not what it seems. The structure across the station entrance is a replica of the old Moot Hall and has been erected as part of the tercentenary celebrations of Leeds being granted a Royal Charter of Incorporation in 1626. The actual…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00117.jpg
Station frontage looking down Station Road. The station with its imposing Tudor style building replaced an earlier station near Sowerby Tunnel and was built in the late 1870s when the Rishworth Branch was constructed. It was hastily demolished…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00114.jpg
HCC00492. Same view as DTA00101.

Photo David N.Taylor Collection

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00113.jpg
The station frontage before landscaping and pedestrianisation in 1994. The near end building is the long disused Parcels Office which was converted in to a Cafe in 1996.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DNT00106.jpg
The Station Car Park at the top of Station Road in 2013. This had been the site of the large two bay Station Warehouse which was demolished in 1969 following serious fire damage. The formal landscaped car park was constructed in 1994.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00143.jpg
Looking towards Hebden Bridge with far left the cobbled double side sloping track up to the station. The track is still there but the station closed to passengers in 1951.

The street facing you is Valley Street. In front is James (Jimmy) Mitchell's…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00268.jpg
LYRS 8680 - The disused and now demolished warehouse looking down Station Approach towards the viaduct.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00267.jpg
LYRS 2804 - the disused and now demolished ‘up’ side Station Warehouse on Station Approach, opposite the rear of the ‘White Hart'.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00266.jpg
LYRS 6026 - 1967. Station frontage and approach road with cobbles covered by tarmac. the building on the right including the Station Master's house has been demolished.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00265.jpg
LYRS 2803 - The run-down station entrance and approach road in British Railway days with the now demolished station master’s house to the right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00244.jpg
LYRS 2955b - General view from the hill side. The station opened in 1849 and closed to passengers in 1958 and to goods in 1963. The road name, Station Approach, is the only indicator to its once existence but the level crossing is still there.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00243.jpg
LYRS 2954 - Postcard view of the station, level crossing and signal box.

The station opened in 1849 and closed to passengers in 1958 and to goods in 1963. The road name, Station Approach, is the only indicator to its once existence but the level…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00242.jpg
LYRS 2953 - General view of the station building, level crossing and signal box looking north west towards Burnley.

The station opened in 1849 and closed to passengers in 1958 and to goods in 1963. The road name, Station Approach, is the only…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00211.jpg
LYRS 2705 - Station frontage and forecourt in BR days. Date unknown but a poster to the right on the end of the building advertises walks in the West Riding which dates it pre-1974. The upper floor looks to be still occupied as the Station masters…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00186.jpg
LYRS 6092 - 1963. Gas lamp outside the Booking Office looking down Station Road a year after the station had closed.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00166.jpg
LYRS 4322 -Station approach and frontage 1910. With the construction of the GNR platforms and lines to the front of the 1855 Station Building in the mid 1880s a new large entrance and facilities building was built on a higher level accessed by the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00163.jpg
LYRS 2696 - Halifax Station approach c.1920. To the left the L&YR Booking Office and to the right the GNR's.

With the construction of the GNR platforms and lines to the front of the 1855 Station Building in the 1880s a new large entrance and…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00162.jpg
LYRS 2695 - Halifax Station Approach - general view. With the construction of the GNR platforms and lines to the front of the 1855 Station Building in the 1880s a new large entrance and facilities building was built on a higher level accessed by the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00161.jpg
LYRS 2692 - Halifax Station approach. To the right the top of the Italian style station building which opened in 1855 and to the front of that the canopies on the GNR platforms. Two platforms behind the building, still with canopies, remain in use. …
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2