Browse Items (111 total)

  • Tags: River Calder

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/PNH00778.jpg
Righthand corner Victoria Bridge over the River Calder leading up to the large station warehouse which was demolished in 1969 following a serious fire. To the front of the station building the demolition site of part of Victoria Mill and above the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/PNH00768.jpg
Demolition of dwellings on King Street, just outside Hebden Bridge on the A646 looking towards Todmorden. On the left is the bridge over the river to The Stubbing Wharf inn. The building on the left with the sign for the Stubbing Wharf Hotel was the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/JNB00580.jpg
The mill was demolished following a disastrous fire in 2019. Postcard dated 1990.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/JNB00549.jpg
The joining of the River Ryburn and the Calder, there is evidence of a mill on this site in 1274. Postcard dated 1992.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MCH00233.jpg
Long Wall is the name of the road with an embankment on the left and a cutting on the right. Elland Bridge can be seen on the left hand edge of the photo spanning the River Calder

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BIM00497.jpg
Clearly a mill town. In the foreground is Pallis House and to its left smoke from a train in the cutting and above the smoke Holme House. On the left hillside Cross Lanes Methodist Chapel and dominant in the top centre Foster Mill.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BIM00497.jpg
Clearly a mill town. In the foreground is Pallis House and to its left smoke from a train in the cutting and above the smoke Holme House. On the left hillside Cross Lanes Methodist Chapel and dominant in the top centre Foster Mill.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/BBS00113.jpg
Postcard published G.H. Greenwood, The Post Office, Todmorden. The Rochdale Canal is in the foreground.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06242.jpg
On the left is the brick built extension to Sowerby Bridge Mills on piers over the River Calder. The tall centre one is Carlton Mills, this is the only surviver in this image and is now appartments. The far one is LockHill Mills and was occupied by…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/AGW00255.jpg
James Watson Ltd. Weavers of cotton sateens, twills and similar fabrics, 1960.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00143.jpg
Looking towards Hebden Bridge with far left the cobbled double side sloping track up to the station. The track is still there but the station closed to passengers in 1951.

The street facing you is Valley Street. In front is James (Jimmy) Mitchell's…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00140.jpg
Behind the viaduct is Calderside Mill built in the 1820s by John Whiteley, after whom the viaduct came to be named. Reputedly it had the tallest chimney in the valley.

The bridge over the canal was a very early skew bridge and also one of the very…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00244.jpg
MYTHOLMROYD COUNTY BRIDGE. The first reference to this bridge is in Holinshed's Chronicles (1577) where the river Calder is described as receiving "one rill neere Elphabrught Bridge." Elphabrough Hall was an important hall on the Cragg Vale bank of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00241.jpg
MEARCLOUGH BRIDGE is a double-arch stone bridge over the river Calder at the foot of Fall Lane. As far back as 1300 there was a corn mill here run by water, and for nearly 500 years this mill was owned by the Waterhouse family of Skircoat. Mearclough…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00237.jpg
LUDDENDEN FOOT BRIDGE was erected in 1882 by the Luddenden Foot board of Health to replace an earlier bridge washed away in the flood of December 23rd, 1880. This bridge, known as the “currie” bridge, was built between 1790 and 1795, Sowerby paying…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00223.jpg
HEBBLE END BRIDGE is a single-arch stone bridge on the west side of Hebden Bridge. In the sixteenth century it was known as Litthouse Bridge from the dye¬house near at hand, referred to in the Heptonstall Parish Register as Litte-house. On April…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2