Browse Items (68 total)

  • Tags: General View
Just visible on the far right are houses on Heptonstall Road and above them Badger Lane climbing up to Blackshawhead Almost dead centre of the photo is the landmark chimney of Calder Mill.
Top centre Stubbings School then dropping down to the White Lion Yard and Shepherd's Garage.
Looking down Hebden Water to first St Georges Bridge and then the Old Bridge. On the left the huge retaining wall supporting Keighley Road which at this point is on a ledge cut out of the cliff side. The buildings on the right-hand river bank have…
Town view from beside Zion Chapel on Osborne Street with in the foreground buildings on Union Street and below that houses on both sides of Commercial Street, demolished mid-1960s. On the left near the top is Hope Baptist Chapel on New Road
Looking down on the town with the landmark chimney of Calder Mill on the right, the mill itself was gutted by fire in November 1964. Heptonstall Road climbing the hillside in the centre but below it housing on High Street and on the north side of…
View over the town from the Chapel Graveyard at the top of the Buttress. The Chapel closed in 1958 and was destroyed by fire in the mid-1960s. The debris here could be following demolition.
To its left Bridge Mill and chimney and left of that the Shoulder of Mutton.
Looking across over Pallis House, centre bottom, with St Thomas RC Church and presbytery next to it. Date unknown but not a car to be seen but what appear to be open top trams on New Road which would date it pre- First World War.
Looking across the town from Cross Lanes Chapel Grave Yard at the top of the Buttress. Date unknown but prior to demolition of dwellings on Commercial Street in 1965.
Looking across from the Buttress to Nutclough Mill and chimney.
Undated postcard.
Holmes Park and Recreation Ground on the left.
Postcard with January 1951 postmark. The two farms in the centre of the picture are Lower and Upper Clough Foot.
Undated postcard. Towards top left is Cross Lanes Chapel which was destroyed by fire in the mid-1960s having closed for worship in 1958.
Postcard with July 1954 postmark. Bottom left is the Hangingroyd area and above it the Birchcliffe Hillside. Right of centre is the station area with the large station warehouse, Victoria Mill and the gas works, all now demolished.
Postcard with August 1915 postmark. Along the bottom are the terraced houses on Calder Bank, now long demolished, and to their left the small two storey Hebble End Dyeworks later enlarged and now (2015) apartments
Postcard with April 1935 postmark looking over to Midgley Moor.
Undated postcard but the image is prior to the construction of Caldene Bridge in 1908. Prominent left of centre is the Primitive Methodist Zion Chapel.
Undated postcard. Taken from Daisy Bank looking across to Midgley Moor.
Re-aligned tracks and line of the notorious Charlestown Curve to its left. The curve was built as a temporary detour in 1840 and remained for over 80 years and was the cause of several derailments including a serious accident in 1912 killing four…
Looking down on the town and station from the south hillside. This shows how the station platforms are above the valley floor built on an embankment. The single box and buildings on the 'up' Manchester platform are supported on stilts. All now…
ALC00416. c.1910. Moss Lane climbing the hillside to Cross Lanes. Named after the Moss family, early fustian manufacturers, one of whom had a school here on the hillside which is now built up. On the skyline the top of Heptonstall Church. The house…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2