Browse Items (789 total)

  • Tags: Churches and Chapels

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC09032.jpg
Multi view postcard of the Mytholmroyd area, includes Cragg Road, the "new" road through Cragg Vale.

Hathershelf, showing Scout Rocks and the houses to the south of Scout Road.

Cragg Road (right) the large building the Old Vicarage.

Parrock…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC09025.jpg
Blackshawhead Chapel was built in 1815 by the Methodists of nearby Heptonstall to serve this hilltop village.

The Chapel was extended a few years later by the addition of a Sunday School, which for many years was the only form of education…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC09018.jpg
Heptonstall has two churches within one graveyard. Although not unique, there is another instance at Alvingham in Lincolnshire, this is unusual. At the centre of the village are the ruins of the Church of St Thomas à Becket built between 1256 and…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC09015.jpg
Mount Zion Primitive Methodist Chapel once stood proudly near the bottom of Midgley Road. Built in 1887, sadly dry rot caused the chapel to be closed in August 1960 and it was demolished in 1970 and flats now occupy the site.

After closure the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC08287.jpg
The Cross Lanes Society was formed from two Methodist groups from Commercial Street, Hebden Bridge and Weaver’s Square, Heptonstall. They decided to join together and build a new chapel at a half way site, at the top of the Buttress. The land cost…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC08282.jpg
Cross Lanes Methodist Chapel is in the top left hand corner of the photo, with the Manse being in the top centre at the top of the photo. From the Manse Moss Lane runs down the hill, the house with the smoke and the gardens is Slater Bank.

Foster…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC08266.jpg
Wainsgate Baptist Chapel (closed - 2001) stands in Wainsgate Lane, off Akroyd Lane, between Pecket Well and Old Town (Chiserley).

The church was started in 1750, the present church was build in 1859/60. At the back of the church was the Manse, but…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06363.jpg
THE SALEM SUNBEAMS
SALEM METHODIST CHURCH'S ANNUAL PANTOMIME
"DICK WHITTINGTON"
Directed by Mr Lloyd Greenwood
1956

Milltown Memories readers GILLIAN STANSFIELD and LINDA ELLIS are among those pictured and help recall this occasion of the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06361.jpg
HEPTONSTALL
According to an old deed, in the early part of the 17th century there was a Cloth Hall, the property of John Sunderland , of Horshold.
But the glory of Heptonstall is the old church, or rather it is sad to write, the ruins of the old…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06356.jpg
This photo features the newly built (1875) Prospect Terrace, the space to the left of it is where Nazebottom Baptist Church will be built in 1908. The extremely tall chimney was for Calderside Mill. The houses centre right are Thistle Bottom.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06349.jpg
The New Church was built in 1854. It contains a fine Italian painting of the "Last Supper".

The Old Church was originally built in the 13th century, but was rebuilt in the 14th and 15th centuries. The two churches are extremely unusual in that…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06346.jpg
On the far hillside the newly built houses on the Banksfield Estate, built as post-war housing, date this photo to around 1948

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06340.jpg
In 1813 they laid the foundation stone of a small church at Marshaw Bridge. The building was completed 1815. There was accommodation for 250, but it soon became inadequate and was in a state of disrepair.
1838 New church commenced.
1839 Church of St.…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06329.jpg
The original Salem Chapel, built 1885, replaced an earlier chapel built 1824 which only had seating for 750 with a schoolroom underneath. The new chapel had seating 1050. Falling membership after the Second World War meant eventual amalgamation with…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06324.jpg
As the tourist will plainly perceive a new church has been built, at a cost of £6666, and was consecrated October 26, 1854. But we cannot refrain from stating that the architect lamentably erred in planning the church in that particular style of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06002.jpg
The church became redundant in 1984 and was converted into private dwellings.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06001.jpg
The foundation stone for this church was laid on 26th June 1929. The church opened on 6th May 1931. Those who gave money for the building included Mary Sowden.

The church became redundant in 1984 and is now private dwellings.

The pulpit and…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2