Browse Items (188 total)

  • Tags: Reservoir

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WMH00743.jpg
Widdop Road winding across the moors between Heptonstall and Colne. Stone for building will have been quarried from the hole right of centre.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WMH00726.jpg
Undated postcard. One of the 15 engines used during the construction of the reservoirs at Walshaw Dean for Halifax Corporation. Work started in 1901. As well as transporting supplies and materials the railway was also used to transport the navvies…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/JNB00517.jpg
Featured in Remains of Elmet, which contained poems by Ted Hughes.

An excellent view of Foster Mill

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MCH00275.jpg
During the drought that year the water level fell to below the old road.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MCH00274.jpg
During the drought that year the water level fell to below the old road.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MCH00273.jpg
During the drought that year the water level fell to below the old road.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MCH00265.jpg
The inn was closed in June 2000 and was converted to a private dwelling.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MCH00261.jpg
The inn, close to Baitings Reservoir, closed in June 2000, this photo was taken soon after that. The property is now a private dwelling.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MIC00106.jpg
Baitings and Ryburn reservoirs were built for Wakefield Corporation. Baitings was opened on 14 November 1956 after eight years work and a cost of £1.4 million. It covers 64 acres with a volume of 775 million gallons, reaching a depth of 155 feet (47…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MIC00105.jpg
Baitings and Ryburn reservoirs were built between 1948 and 1956 for Wakefield Corporation. Baitings was opened on 14 November 1956 after eight years work and a cost of £1.4 million. It covers 64 acres with a volume of 775 million gallons, reaching a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HBW00421.jpg
Withens Clough conduit looking east to Cragg Vale

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HBW00420.jpg
Part of a pair as the conduit goes over a dip in the slope. Stark symmetry is a surprise in this rural setting on a permitted path.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOS00104.jpg
27th Aug, 1938. Fred Barker, Bottomley (surveyor), Fred Hodgson, G.W. Sutcliffe, Milton Sunderland, G.H. Walton, Tom Sunderland (Treasurer) Arthur Sutcliffe.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CVH00196.jpg
Pictured during the drought of 1958/59.

Constructed in 1898 as a compensation tunnel for Green Withens Reservoir, one of the former Wakefield Water Board’s biggest holdings with a capacity of over 300 million gallons, the tunnel runs back for 850…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2