Browse Items (45 total)

  • Tags: Baptist Chapel

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS00447.jpg
Previously based at Millwood the congregation moved to Roomfield in 1877 nearer to Todmorden Centre. The Chapel was demolished in 1953 due to dry rot and similarly the schoolroom, which had temporarily been used for services, followed the same fate…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS00446.jpg
An unusual name but as with those of many non-conformist chapels it comes from the Bible and in this case the book of Genesis where it meant a place of flourishing. The congregation were descended from the 18th century Rodwell End Meeting House and…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS00444.jpg
During the first half of the 19th century there was a gradual movement from the hilltop villages down to the growing small mill towns in the valley bottom and in 1851 a small group from Shore Baptist Chapel on the hillside formed a congregation in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05059.jpg
Ebenezer Particular Baptist Chapel, or Meeting House, was opened by John Fawcett in 1777. In 1858 it became the Sunday School for Hope Baptist Chapel and when a larger Sunday School was opened there in 1873 it was first leased and then sold becoming…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00313.jpg
Now the home of Pennine Heritage Limited.

Purchased in 1978 with assistance from the Joseph Rowntree Social Service Trust (JRSST) to save it from demolition, the building was converted in 1979 to the Pennine Heritage HQ and low cost office space for…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC09051.jpg
A wonderful picture, possibly of Sunday School scholars and teachers, from the days when chapel life was at the heart of the community.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00482.jpg
Birchcliffe Baptist Chapel, probably ready for its opening on 31st October 1899. It closed as a chapel in February 1974 and was bought by the Joseph Rowntree Social Services Trust. A floor was built across at balcony level to provide an upper storey.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00414.jpg
Bottom centre the passenger station and to its left the large railway warehouse and goods sidings. Above them can be seen Riverside School, originally Hebden Bridge Grammar School which opened 1909. At the top of Station Road by Princes Bridge is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00413.jpg
View across the railway station to the town. The passenger station, re-built 1891/2, wedged between Victoria Mill to its right and the large railway warehouse to the left and beyond it Crossley Mill. Bottom right the Crow Nest Works of the joint…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2